Oppo UDP - 205

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
unsound
a25105,
I still haven't connected the Oppo 205 to my 2 channel system to compare it to the PS Direct Stream. But I will perhaps next week.

dbphd,
I am using Dish, way better picture and sound quality over my previous Comcast.

Personally, I would not buy anything from Schiit. I was treated badly and charged 50% of the purchase price for a return on an item that I only had for 2 weeks and was like new when it was returned. Albeit the item was  originally about $150 but 50% was a bit much for restocking, shipping, customer service etc. charges. Never again, there name is appropriate...

ozzy

Interesting discussion.  Seems to suggest that the 205 is good if you need the transport & connection features.  For strictly DAC quality, a similar priced, well designed, dedicated product (including the Sonica DAC) will likely result in better sonic quality.

I'm curious because I have a Resonessence Concero HD as my DAC, but I also would like a transport. Was hoping that the 205 might serve that purpose and meet or exceed the Concero DAC.  

I would appreciate any comments between them, especially if you have experience with both.  Thanks

As a side note, the Resonessence designers came from the Sabre DAC design team, so they know the Sabre chips well.  I have heard the Resonessence Veritas ($2850) which wasn't a huge improvement over the Concero for over three times the price.  However, the Mirus Pro ($6000) was the best DAC I have heard, but also seven times more costly.  
...Personally, I would not buy anything from Schiit. I was treated badly and charged 50% of the purchase price for a return on an item that I only had for 2 weeks and was like new when it was returned. Albeit the item was originally about $150 but 50% was a bit much for restocking, shipping, customer service etc. charges. Never again, there name is appropriate...

@ozzy 

That is unfortunate (for me) to read. Were you within the 15 day return windows?

a25105,

Well I finally did a head to head test between the Oppo 205 XLR analog outs and my Bryston BDP-2 / PS Audio Direct Stream Dac analog outs with the latest Huron firmware. Both were playing the exact same songs from the same external hard drive.

There really was no contest, notes were fuller and more life like with the PS Audio. Music was way more defined with the ability to pick out individual instruments. The Oppo 205 played well and I could see it being used as a all purpose player/Dac until it is compared to much more serious equipment.
The Oppo perhaps has about 100 hours of playing time on it so it will get better. However, the gap is way too large to change my opinion.

But, for such a ("Swiss army knife") device the Oppo 205 is great. Play your 4K/Blu Ray movies using the Oppo's analog outs instead of the HDMI/Digital outs and you'll see what I mean. What fantastic surround qualities. And the video...
The only problem is the over head Atmos channels can't be used with the analog outs.

ozzy