Oppo UDP - 205

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
unsound
If one's usage is primarily physical disk based, then the Modwright Mod makes sense. Also, if one has significant space limitations, and can only house one box, then modding the 205 is a good choice.

However, if one has moved into streaming and network based audio, then a stand alone DAC makes much more sense. There are any number of excellent options from just under 1K to 2.5K.

David,

Agree that network-based audio changes things up due to the limited streaming/rendering capability of the 205.

On comparative sound quality of the MW mod vs a $1k to 2.5k DAC, I have owned 2 so far. The Hegel HD-12 and the Exogal Comet Plus DAC. Both are good DACs in that price range and definitely have their strengths but neither come close to the overall sound quality of my MW5400ES IMO. It comes very close to the excellent purpose-built $7k retail ModWright Elyse DAC I have on loan from a friend.

I know that you have a great system and ears. Do you have recommendations for DACs in the $1k to 2.5k price range that can equal the sound quality of a MW-modded 205 for those using disc media as their primary source?

Dave
ozzy’s comparative ratings of the sound quality of the DirectStream DAC (10) and the 205 (6) seem right on. 4 points is huge!

Also huge is the fact that a PS Audio DirectStream DAC costs nearly 5 times as much as an Oppo UDP-205. :)

No doubt there is usually substantial monetary cost to getting from a 6 to a 10, gdhal. Likely much less to get to an 8 or 9 and perhaps that could be the target for those who are ready to explore producing better sound from their Oppos :)

Dave

@dlcockrum

Hi Dave. My comment was about usability / functionality.

I respect what Modwirght does with their own products and also with their mods and would be happy to own one. I have come close on many occasions, most recently one of their preamps (I went with a Pass XP-20) and seriously considered the early offer from Modwright to mod the 205 since I was in the earliest wave for the 205. I have not had the pleasure to listen to a Modwright 205, so I can’t comment on sound quality from a comparative perspective. I was exposed to the older mods, and with the Sony ES CDPs...and the mod was a good investment for those who went that route.

For me, the decision would be around having two boxes vs one, and I would, and have, erred on the side of two boxes. It simply provides me with more options.

I have moved almost entirely to streaming (the 105 sits unused). In fact, I continue deeper down that rabbit hole as I am actively considering bringing another box into the mix...the dCS Network Bridge or something like the Antipodes DX.