Best Drum Solos

I'm finding that I've been REALLY enjoying drum solos on my system lately. They seem to work the whole speaker, from the kick drum in the woofers, to the tom-tom in the midrange, and the cymbals and high hats in the tweeters. And when it all comes together, they are the instrument I have the easiest time seeing in front of myself.

I searched the forums titles to see if there were any good drum solo discussions going on, but I didn't see any. So here we go. In no particular order, here are some drum solos I've found to be very high quality:

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Drum Thunder Suite
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Caravan
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Far More Drums
Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick
Max Roach - Max's Variations

What are your favorite drum solos to listen to on your system? 
128x128heyitsmedusty
Hello again, bdp.  I appreciate your ongoing commentary.  Getting later in the day for me and don't have the energy for the more deserved detailed reply.  I completely get the distinction you are making between "technicality" and musicality...not that the two must be mutually exclusive.  Good to hear a pro appreciating Mr. Starkey.  He served the song and not his ego.  Maybe nominate those splendid few seconds of him soloing in The End on Abbey Road for inclusion here.  Mighta been a bit of irony or sarcasm in the minds of the Beatles at the time of the recording but works for me, regardless.  

Ginger was certainly no model citizen but I don't think a complete music Neanderthal, either.  I did find some irony in Mr. Buddy "Personality" Rich being the one to call him a clown.  

Don't expect it will change your opinion (not trying to) but in case you've not seen this, might be of interest...maybe cast Peter Edward Baker in a slightly different light. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad7D5JsKSjw&ab_channel=JoãoBorges

I believe I’ve already told ya’ll this story Evan Johns told me when I recorded with him in Atlanta GA. If so, it bears repeating. Evan’s good friend and sometimes bandmate, the late, great guitarist Danny Gatton (Vince Gill, himself a fine guitarist, nicknamed him "The Humbler"!) played his first gig with a new drummer. After the first set, Danny had this exchange with the guy:

Danny to the drummer: "You know all that fancy stuff you’re playing?"

Drummer: "Yeah".

Danny: "Don’t".

When I was living in Sherman Oaks CA in the late-90’s, I used to bump into Billy Swan (remember his 1970’s hit "I Can Help"?), who was playing rhythm guitar and singing harmony in Kris Kristofferson’s band. He told me when Kris was just starting to play big shows in the late 60’s and early 70’s, everybody told him he needed to hire a drummer. Coming from coffeehouses and folk clubs, Kris had never had one. So, he arranged to have a drummer audition. Unfortunately, it being the late 60’s, and all drummers thinking they had to play like Ginger Baker, or Keith Moon, or (shudder) Carmine Appice, the drummer pounded his way through Kris’ songs, playing way too loud and way too busy, very unmusically walking all over the other bandmember’s parts. That’s what Clapton was talking about. Billy said that soured Kris on drummers, and that he never again auditioned one.

Clapton now has one of the best drummers in the world, the incredible Steve Gadd (he created the drum part in Paul Simon’s "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover"). Now THAT guy can not only play a song as musically as anyone, but can solo like Buddy Rich, a very rare combination. And, his drums and cymbals also sound great!

For a slightly more balanced opinion of Ginger Baker's drumming:

http://drummagazine.com/10-ways-to-sound-like-ginger-baker/

The analysis focuses on his work with Cream, but it does touch on his subsequent (and lengthy) career.
Thanks for the article, onhwy61.  Enjoyed it.  

Found the excerpt below relevant in the context of the preceding discussion in this thread...
"Why was he such an in-demand drummer? An examination of his ensemble playing, musical taste, and knack as an improviser provides the answer."

Do tell....
interesting thread--i'm likewise enjoying bdp's perspective regarding "musicality" as opposed to chops. he's not wrong about ginger baker--cream (esp. their live stuff) always sound less-than-seamless to me and they actually sound their best on the (rare) occassions he underplays. i've also come to appreciate ringo more--his self-effacing, understated approach is too often mistaken for lack of technique. otoh, i seem to be the only led zep fan in the world who just never got into bonham, who always seemed lumbering and behind-the-beat.