Dynavector 20x2 vs Audio Technica ART-9.

For those who’ve heard / owned both, which would you say is better for a VPI Scout listening to all genres - rock, pop, jazz, electronic, metal? Looking for a balanced, neutral sound, although I don’t mind it being a touch on the warm side. Dynamic but non fatiguing, deep well defined (but not bloated) bass, and sparkly (but not hot) treble. Thanks!
128x128pts
Everyone's "better" will be different. I do, however use the ART 9 and tried the DV on my table. Both are good carts. "Better" is subjective. I hear the ART 9 as a little more convincing/realistic on my VPI Classic. The next person responding will have a completey different experience with the same carts.

If you have 65-70 DB's of gain, I would also consider the ART 7. It's a few bucks less, but lower output. A smidge more refined than the 9. This opinion based on trying a 7 on loan(along with step up Xfrmr) I have a VPI Classic.

You will either have the luxury of trying both, or flipping a coin. No one has your exact system to give a definitive answer. Phono stage quality, cannot be ignored as well.

Thanks for the info!

My phono preamp is an Avid Pulsus, so good quality and capable of the volume range you mentioned.

The ART-7 might be too polite for harder hitting genres, being a cart I mostly see recommended for acoustic jazz and classical.

"too polite for harder hitting genres"

I guess that could be up for debate also...I listen to many styles and made sure to play my beloved early Zep and Pink Floyd's DSOTM.

Being a couple of years back, I recall the difference as hearing subtle passages presented a tiny bit more....recognizable or in focus, for lack of better descriptors? Drum authority from Bonzo was still present, but things like the ambient stuff in DSOTM-"On the Run"-the panning of the footsteps were a tad more "real?"

This was AFTER I purchased the 9. The fact my phono stage needed a little more oomph from the extra gear$(Xfrmr) was a deal breaker as well. Im quite happy however, with the 9. IMO, I just can't justify investing 2X or more for a cart without thinking my table should be upgraded as well(upgrade anxiety)

You won't go wrong with either of your picks. Good luck

These types of questions are best answered by the OP.

Why does one ask another what one is considering as their frame of reference?

I just don’t know.