Interconnects and non-believers

For anyone who denies there are differences in cables, I have news for you.
There are vast differences.  I just switched interconnects between my CD transport (Cyrus) and DAC (Schiit Gumby), and the result was transformational.  Every possible parameter was improved: better definition, better soundstaging,  better bass, better depth etc.
I can’t understand how any audiophile with ears can deny the differences.  Is it delusion or dogma?
128x128rvpiano
(And I’m on this thread because it seems addressed to people who have some skepticism about cables).

Prof - I understand your skepticism about burn-in.  All I can tell you is that I've heard it's effects by testing identical interconnects after one set spent 48 hrs. on a cable-cooker.  There were 5 or 6 people there.  We all clearly hard the difference and could identify the 'cooked' cable.  And only one of us knew which cable was which. 

We did that test specifically due to skepticism (like yours) that maybe you just "get used" to components & cables, rather than any real burn-in.

But Prof, speakers??  You've got to be kidding.  They're essentially motors with moving parts, and there WILL be physical break-in, always.

If you know a dealer, this is an easy blind test too.  Have him set up two pair of the same spkrs - his broken-in demos and a pair straight out of the box.  I'll be very surprised if they sound the same to you.

Now, I'll agree with you that for most applications, wires do not need break-in.  They conduct electricity very well 'out of the box'.  But there's something different (more!) going on when they're used in audio. 

We're probably (IMHO 'clearly') dealing with things that a heart monitor or a computer don't 'care' about.

At least that is what I've heard many times over many years.

Yeah, speaker break in seems a lot more plausible to me.

I'm not sure though about the magnitude of the effects.  I never noticed speaker break in on any speaker I've owned, (and I'm a careful listener) so I just have to infer what I can from outside information. 

I mean, my system can still "sound" different at different times to me, and my speakers are far past any break in period, being years old.  So I bet, in my case, it's more down the changes in my mood, state of mind etc and how it affects my perception, than to the system (as our minds and perception are vastly more plastic than the likely changes in a system day to day). 

I don't claim answers; I'm trying to figure my way through high end audio like anyone else. 

PROF - Thanks for the quick reply.  Now you're going to get all angry with me about burn-in (LOL).

All I can tell you is what I've heard, in blind tests and unscientifically, and I can guarantee that I'm not delusional.  I never believed A/C cords could make a diff. until I'd heard it ... over and over.

Not asking you to 'believe' anything (except that I'm sincere).  But see if you can get a blind-test listen yourself.  Might change your mind... or not. 

One more thing (Boy, am I long-winded today!)...

In these forums, you see an awful lot of skepticism about the HEA industry.  Some of it is - no doubt - justified... especially about certain dealers.

OTOH, over the past 10-12 years I've had the opportunity to become acquainted with a number of audio designers, distributers & dealers. MOST of them are really nice, honest folks who love music and want you to enjoy it.  (And, yes, they hope to make a lot of $$ helping you enjoy it.)

Don't assume that ALL of them are just in it for a buck.  A few are!  But most of them are a lot more like you. (Don't you wish you could make a living in HEA, or whatever your favorite hobby is?)

I'm not saying you can trust ALL of these people.  But don't paint them all with the same brush. The majority really are good guys.