B&W 802 N vs. D

I apologize in advance since this is probably an old question, but can someone summarize for me the differences in the sound of the 802 N and 802 D? I am wondering if the D's are worth the extra $$ they go for.
diw
know that I have everyone attention I have an idea. but first I will make a comment or two. comparing GM to B&W is a bad example period. I never had any luck w/t few GM cars (Vans) I have owned. my oldler brother has never had a problem w/gm cars/trucks in 30 yrs? so their y go, it is a matter of taste (I agree w/you). last opion I said I think the 802d is the best speaker in the world for the money, all the speakers y listed were more expensive, not $110k but at least 4-10 thousand more. I have heard heard hundreds of speakers.

I do like B&W & I like their customer service. (important to me).

I was not serious I don't think anyone else was as far as nasty stuff, it just something to do,.

I recommended if y went the 802d route to get one of t 2 daimond centers they offer, so y would not have any extra speaker, or have to find a single single 802d. (I have never seen a single 80sd/n f sale) I have the 802ds & hmt2d as my center & the tonality matches perfectly.

Personally I like my system ,but I still look for fun & to possible up-grade. my old system is listed on this site by the way. When I buy I aim a research hound! (once again searching for a hidden gem is part of the fun.)

**I was thinking of starting a small audio club. The idea was to get some trustworthy guys & purchase a Cable Cooker. I been in contact w/the company that sells the most used Cable C./there best one is like a $1000.00.

Once y cook your cables they last for a 6 months- 1 year, then Ideally should be re-cooked.(so I have been told) I would love to have one but once I cooked my cables the thing would sit their for a 6 months/year before I felt t need to cook them again.

Five guy throw in $200.00 & we rotate the cooker back & forth.(each use it for two weeks, ect.) it is kinda silly to spend a grand on something you use once & rarely after that. I would fork over $200.00 to have a cable cooker available but I don't think I would want to spend a $1000 on one.

What do y guys think?
(I think five would be a good number)

Kodg
Look guys, all of you need to fix your egotistical attitudes & start behaving like civilized men. And, also understand that this is a DISCUSSION & not a brain-washing session where you need to convince one or more men that brand XYZ is better than brand ABC! As all you zipper-heads know audio is a very SUBJECTIVE hobby & (often) one man's meat is another's poison.
Allow each contributor to this thread retain his opinion & RESPECT that opinion esp. if it does not jive w/ your own. As, I wrote before - it's subjective & bound to have vast differences. LET IT GO!

Now, in an attempt to contribute to this discussion: I have nothing to gain/lose here as I am no longer a B&W owner. However, I will say this: from my experience & from that of a good friend (who owns a 802D at this present time), the only way that you are going to make the 802D get up & salute you is to take care of the amplifier-speaker electrical interface. IOW, you will need an amp that has huge balls to drive this difficult load otherwise you are going to get a dull, lifeless, over-bloated bass, tizzy type of sound during playback.
http://www.stereophile.com/images/archivesart/1205802FIG1.jpg
look @ its impedance, phase plot.In the 20Hz-200Hz region the phase goes from + to - => inductive load to capacitative load. The amp you use will have to be capable of handling this phase lead, phase lag on a dynamic basis; otherwise, the 802D will be controlling the amp rather than the other way around. Also, in this region I note that the amplifier you use will need to have the ability to source/sink current into a low impedance load (2.5-3 Ohms) & still sound good. For most amps available in the market this is a tall order indeed. Most amps are rated for 4 Ohms & maybe even 2 Ohms but that does not mean that they sound good when driving those impedances.
From my experience at RMAF2007 I can tell you that B&W's decision to pair Classe amps with their speakers is a mistake! The new Classe amps are quite poor sonically & do their speakers a big injustice. However, what's B&W to do: they own Classe now so they have to tout their in-house brand!
So, guys, be careful mouthing off here: your experience of the 802D can dramitically change if you use the "correct" amplifier that has the ability to control this speaker. This is my personal experience - it's not hear-say or 2nd-hand experience.
The simple answer to your question is YES the d series sound better than the old n by about 40%.

I would by two 802ds & one of the (two) daimond matching centers b&w offers. I have seen some good price on audiogon for the daimond centers.

I still would like to know if y guys are interested in the cable cooker idea?

Thanks,
Dan/Kodg
Dear Bombaywalla:

One of the positive changes to the new d series is it does not amplify (as much) poor components down stream like the older N did. (good point though B&W's love power)

My amp has more than enought power to push the 802d like a leaf in a strong breeze.

Kodg.
Bombaywalla ..We all know that the 802 needs power,old old news,,After reading your post or review maybe you should take your own advise and stop "mouthing off"