Is DEQX a game changer?

Just read a bit and it sure sounds interesting. Does it sound like the best way to upgrade speakers?
ptss
Blang11, thanks for providing the thorough and extremely well composed report.  Glad it worked out so well.  Enjoy!

Best regards,
-- Al

@almarg : Hi Al.  I,m taking steps to acquire a PreMATE Plus at the first of the year and am selling some seldom used gear, to help offset the cost.  I have a subjective question, concerning the connection of my Theta Miles CD player.  I am currently using the Theta through its analog balanced outs, going into my Aesthetix Signature linestage.  I decided to run the Theta through my Casablanca 3 and must admit, it sounded a little clearer, than the Aesthetix.  I have a Kora Hermès II, also presently not in the chain, that I thought I may use in front of the Deqx unit.  Do you have an opinion on which would give me the better sound?  Theta straight to the Deqx, or Theta + Kora+ Deqx?  Without the Miles own dac, I would be using a digital cable apron 20’ long, as I’m already using a better quality set of XLR’s to my linestage.  Also,I have the Casablanca up for sale and couldn’t find a fair true price, to ask for the unit.  I simply checked the blue book and compared it to other CB3’s on the market.  I’m not trying to gouge anyone-just not sure about the asking price.  One more question-I’m planning on getting the M23 mic, but can get it for about half the cost Larry is asking.  Do you know of anyone who has done this, then purchased the mic files?  One last comment.  For my two JL F113’s, I’m using a separate preamp coming out of the linestage tape out.  This gives me total separate volume control, over my subs.  My Wilson’s have very deep bass and I use the separate sub volume control, to offset any lacking in bass, depending on the source’s bass output.  It’s a setup that has worked very well, in tailoring the bass to fit the source.
Thanks in advance,
Steve
1. Connect directly to the PreMATE DAC as these are high quality & transparent.
2. If you get an M23 from another source, you will need to have the files converted - probably by Alan Langford at DEQX & my experience is that he may take quite a while to do this & there may be a cost. I would personally not recommend it.  I asked the question before getting my own M23 but in the end bought it via the DEQX dealer with the correct DEQX file.
3. I always connect directly to a DEQX processor when using subs to achieve the most accurate time alignment. This feature is excellent, minimises other equipment in the chain & volume is locked in with the main speakers. The DEQX software allows you to adjust time delay (main speakers to subs), phase, relative volumes & equalisation anyway. If you want to offset any lacking bass from the source, you can set the four remote control presets to progressively higher levels of sub volume. This works really well & is what I do.
Hi Steve,

As usual Andrew (Drewan77) provides great answers, with which I agree completely.

I too purchased the M23 as part of the $745 DEQX "Reference Calibration Kit." Mainly out of curiosity I subsequently requested a calibration file corresponding to the serial number of the particular mic from Earthworks, via their website, and it was in a plain text format rather than the proprietary DEQX format supplied with the kit that is necessary for importation into the DEQX cal software.

Regarding your questions about how to best configure the system, I would just add to Andrew’s comments that using a particularly long digital cable could conceivably increase susceptibility to ground loop issues between the CDP and the DEQX, which in turn might adversely affect timing jitter at the circuit point within the DEQX where D/A conversion is performed. So when the time comes it may be worthwhile to compare sonics with and without a cheater plug temporarily applied to the CDP’s power plug, to defeat its safety ground connection. That would break any ground loop that may exist between the CDP and the DEQX, and allow you to determine if this possibility is an issue.

BTW, for the benefit of others who may read your post and may wonder, I’ll mention that I assume the word "apron" was intended to be "approx."

Best of luck as you proceed. Regards,
-- Al
Hi- Just got the premate and want to run my external dac- I hooked up my server to the premate dig.in and then out from the premate to dig. in on my dac- according to the DEQX manual -I ran out from the dac to the amps- No sound- what am i doing wrong- thks for the help