driving Verity Audio Parsifal Ovations?

I am considering driving these speakers with a high quality integrated amp such as the Luxman 590A11 (pure class A, 30 wpc) or the Luxman 509u (class AB, 120 wpc).

Has anyone been happy with Luxman or other integrated amps such as Pass etc driving the Parsifal Ovations?

Regards,

Mark

toronto416
IMHO, class A produce better texture and grip within the power range. The M800a is rated at 60W into 8ohms but will provide 160W into 8ohms before clipping according to stereophile measurements and over 200W into 4. 590a probably do more than 30W into 8ohm.

also depend on the room size and how far are you from the speaker
The M800A weighs 107 lbs, in keeping with its large power reserves. The insides look like a work of art! You must be very happy with yours!

The lower powered (30 wpc) M600A weighs 58 lbs, and the 30 wpc L-590Aii integrated weighs 66 lbs. These two units share the same amplification capabilities, and though considerably lighter than the M800A, they are not lightweights either and it would not surprise me to learn that they produce much more than 30 wpc into 8 Ohms.

As I mentioned earlier, I heard the smaller 20 wpc Luxman 550 integrated driving the Parsifals, and they made beautiful music together. I am sure that the 30 wpc L-590Aii would be an even better match, though it looks like the M800A would be even more ideal.

Given my global budget for a new system (and I prefer to buy new), the only way that I can afford new Parsifals is by making compromises elsewhere in the system. A high quality integrated is a very reasonable place to compromise without feeling any regrets.

What I find interesting on this forum is that Luxman's integrateds are mentioned quite frequently. Of even greater interest, is that of the two top integrateds (which cost the same $10K), the class A 30 wpc L-590Aii receives far more mention than the 120 wpc class AB L-509u.

Regards,

Mark
Hi Mark,

First of all, the L509U costs alot more than the L590. In Japan, the L509U costs close to $2,000 more. In USA however, they cost the same. Do not be deceived by the appearance of equivalence created by the US distributor between these two units. The 509U is the best sounding amp I have ever heard. It will also last you longer than a class-A. The 509U goes with the Luxman DU-80 universal music player. It is the best player, and will run circles around Wadia 381. Parsifal ovations is an excellent choice for the front towers. For the rear, I would recommend Wilson or Parsifal. Having A and B on with the four speakers is an incredible quadrophonic sound. As you are apparently willing to spend this kind of money, I advise you to go for the ultimate system. Thanks, Renjy651.
Mark:

I have watching this thread and other of your related threads with growing interest. You apparently like Luxman as do I. Are you open to the idea of seperates? If so, the Luxman MQ-88 tube amp and its preamp counterpart are close to your ~ $10K ceiling. There are mint condition demos of each on eBay that are going for ~ $4.7K and ~ $2.8K, respectively. I have the MQ-88 in my primary system and love it. It is class A, I believe 50 watts per channel, built like a tank as are all Luxman components, and sound to die for. An incredible combination of all of the best of tube and SS amplification. I have heard that amplifier easily drive speakers similar (or worse) in impedance challenge to the PO's, with ease and great musical results. I realize you prefer to buy new, but thought that mint condition demo units might be something you would be willing to consider.

Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a Sonic Frontiers 50 wpc tube amp, and though I love some aspects of the tube experience, I will not miss tubes burning out or blowing-up and taking out parts of the circuit with it. In my 17 year old relationship, it has had to go out for service at least three times, and it has been re-tubed even more times than that. I am ready for the ease and (hopefully) rock solid reliabilkty of a high quality solid state amp.

The combination of the Parsifals with the Luxman 509u integrated (or 590Aii) and DU-80 cdp (or D-06) is what I am leaning towards.

Regards,

Mark