Speaker Width?

Hello all,

Currently my speakers are 12' apart and each speaker is about 10' from my listening position. Picture here: https://imgur.com/a/etiV2q8

Would it make sense for me to move them closer together? (switching with my amp and subwoofer on each side). Curious on thoughts and how people typically space their speakers!
bclark8923
Um, honestly, you may be much better off with bookshelf speakers that are horn loaed or use a D'appolito configuration. That way you can put them on the furniture, next to the TV bracket.
I agree that getting the speakers away from the wall is important, but I also think that how far is probably dependent on the specific speaker including where its bass port is located.

In my situation I can only get them about 2 feet from the sidewalls and maybe 2 feet from the back wall. There is simply no practical way around that.

But when I really set out to get them positioned correctly they actually sound better a little closer to both the side and back wall (the back wall is actually bookshelves...which may be acoustically damping with all the books??).

My point is that once you get them in the ballpark then spend some time fine tuning and leave them where ever they sound best regardless of how that fits with the general rules.

Mine are about 8 feet apart, slightly toed in with tweeters pointed straight at me at eye level. But my seat is 15 feet away which is slightly too far. If I’m really serious about listening I’ll pull my chair into the room about 3 feet and it makes a difference.

What a bunch of weirdos we are. ;-)
You know, IMHO, it's not hte speakers, it's the cabinet.

If you could get a simple single-width rack, all your problems get solved.
That cabinet is killing any chance of good imaging and soundstaging. 
Start by using the Herbies Gliders and move the speakers away from the side wall and closer to the console. Then pull the speaks forward with possible toe-in.

Your TT may need to be moved due to acoustic reverberation from the speaker cabinet. 

This is experimentation, it may not be your final positioning.

You're getting a lot of good help from everyone already. As you just found even seemingly small moves can make a big improvement, especially when starting from such a low level. 

A couple more seemingly small ideas that should help a lot- that plastic tote box sitting on the right on the coffee table? Even small stuff like that is a surface that reflects sound that ruins imaging. Even that green sofa cushion or whatever it is on the left. If you can't move these maybe play with trying to at least get the stuff ruining the sound to be the same on each side.

Speaking of symmetry, maybe its the photo and maybe that's not the sweet spot but it sure looks cockeyed to me. If it really is as bad as it looks then your biggest bang by far will be to tweak the speakers and the listening spot into as close to perfect symmetry as you can possibly manage.

As others have said some work best pointed right at you, some in a little more, others out a little more. But regardless of whatever that is they all work best when pointed exactly the same and at exactly the same distance. Exactly means exactly. Measure carefully and tweak the speakers until they are pointed as close to perfect symmetry as you can get. Within 1/8" is a good goal. It looks like you are at least a foot off center so this should make a huge difference.

In case you're wondering, all this tweaking will pay big dividends when looking for that new home. Its almost impossible to teach someone what to look for. But once you do it you just know.