Speakers

Hello,
I recently upgraded my yamaha receiver, replacing it with a 'new' Sansui qrx8001 from the late 70's... a loaded question I know, but does anyone have speaker recommendations for said quad sansui? Mostly vinyl,  some fm, mid-size living room, budget 2k, but maybe more if done in 2 phases.  
thanks
rick2718
Hey rick2718,

If you’re going to stick to two channel, why not look into the original JBL Century 100’s. You might have to update the speaker surrounds, but they’re still a great speaker.

All the best.

JD

Wow, that's a lot of different directions. My take: I have a 1970's Sansui Eight that has gone thru the recap route. I use it in my office for sports radio with some old Polks. I took some Spendor 3/2s from my main system and tried them with the Sansui. Had to stop right away. The old Polks sounded better. When I put the Spendors back in my primary system they sounded excellent again. I hope you can get where I am going with this. That aside first I would not spend over $1,000 on all four speakers especially if you are going vintage. Be patient. Watch Audiokarma. The KG4s or Vandys are likely the best bet in my book. Have fun!!!
Try some of the Usher CP series speakers. I had the cp6381 and it sounded very good. If you want a much better speaker try the usher mini dancer 1 or 2 speakers with the diamond tweeter
because of your Quad aspirations, i will veer from my very typical Vandersteen recommendation ( for great stereo, get 2C and up !!!! )

but i will suggest some work for you.....try to find Shahinian Obelisk....buy a pair to start and add 2nd pair for the quad setup...

failing that get the Vandersteen 2C ( or better ) and a set of on wall Vandersteen for the backside quad pair....

you might find both options shockingly good

have fun.....enjoy the music..

jim
BTW, i worked at a Sansui / Shahinian dealer late 70’s...

yes we has other more high end gear....but the Shahinians may shock you for enjoyment.....

especially w multitrack recordings of the day.....mixed with high eq, heavy hand on pan and a mostly 2 D soundstage......