High Efficiency Speakers Your top 3 or more

Not taking cost or musical preferences into account what are the top 3 high efficiency speakers you've ever heard, overall?
mmike84
Legacy Focus. >95db/2.83v. Of course, it's probably not a speaker you'd choose for a SET amp, because it has very low impedance in some key frequency ranges.
MMike84,

Is it a safe assumption that you are looking for different speakers to go along with your tube gear? You aren't looking to replace the amp you have with a SET are you? That makes a big difference I would think on what speakers would work well. I don't think you need super high efficiency speakers necessarily with your amp. I would think 89-90db and a smooth 8 ohm load more or less is all that would be needed for your stuff to sing!
Mapman (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers)

My system on audiogon is not updated. I am currently running electrostats with two big VAC amps, one each in mono for each speaker. Yes they sound really really good together. One of the best combinations I've ever found. But I'm changing directions.

However I think high efficiency designs don't necessarily limit you to low powered tubes they just enable that option. Personally and in general I have found that high efficiency designs can sound good regardless of the amplification except in cases of extreme mismatches. I think in many cases it's complicated crossovers that reduce the efficiency of the drivers in those speakers more so than the drivers themselves. The more complicated the crossover is the better the speaker designer has to be to design it correctly, and almost without fail the less efficient the speaker will be. That necessitates high power push pull tube amps, and SS.

I agree solid state can be impressive. Showy, dynamic, etc. But in general tubes are more musical to me, and the added texture and dimension that you get makes even less sparkly highs, or less impactful bass sound more real. In otehr words the trade offs are not worth it, to me.

But just like wine not everyone values the same thing. If you listen to Radiohead most of the time my current set up would be unbeatable. However I listen to a lot of different music and it's mostly acoustic. I'll give up tight bass, and resolution for musicality. 5 years ago I would not have said that. So either my ears have gotten more refined, or they have gotten less refined, or my tatses have changed, I'm not sure which. Another may prefer something else and that's OK. I've owned some systems some would call the pinnacle of SS, and I now own a system that is at the top of the high power push pull tube class. I don't label one approach superior. They each have their strengths and weaknesses.
I've been following this thread closely (through all the exciting twist and turns); I really have nothing to add other than I'm on a similar pursuit. The Audio Notes ARE wonderful, although I just demo-ed a pair in my listening room and sadly they weren't as magical as I've heard them elsewhere. I blame it on my listening room. My long wall setup has no corners and the alternative short wall configuration has only one corner plus the speakers can only be 2ft from the wall. I really wanted these speakers to work in my space. I may still jump at picking up a used pair in the future.

As others have mentioned, and which I hope to hear soon, the Audiokinesis Jazz Modules is up there on my A list; as well as the Tannoy Kensington if I can find a pair to try at home (it will require several strong buddies to haul them in). Another idea that hasn't been mentioned is to patiently wait for John DeVore's Orangutans to be released.
I have been looking longingly at Coincident Super Victory 4's. At 96db they are on the cusp and really not sure whether my 8 watt 300b's will drive them. Surprised sometimes at how well my amps drive lower efficiency speakers but thinking about upgrading my Druid IV's to these. Any thoughts?
03-30-10: Ladavid
I have been looking longingly at Coincident Super Victory 4's. At 96db they are on the cusp and really not sure whether my 8 watt 300b's will drive them.
Coincident's Frankenstein SET amps are 8w, 300B monoblocks.

I don't think you're going to have a problem.