Magnepan 3.7

Looks nice, link below.

“the 3.7 is a 3-way, full-range ribbon speaker with a very ‘fast’ quasi-ribbon midrange and true ribbon tweeter.”

"The 3.7 is available in new aluminum trim or our traditional wood trims of oak and cherry. Fabric options are off-white, black and dark gray. Suggested list pricing starts at $5495/pair for aluminum or oak versions, or $5895/pair for the dark cherry versions."

Magnepan 3.7
james63
Like the new 3.7 but would like to add a subwoofer for that 20hz low. Would like to know what's the best sub to go with it.
My Velodyne DD+15 blends perfectly with the 3.7s. A pair of DD+10s would be an even better choice. I bought mine from David Weinhart Designs in California....he's amazing....
I Don't see what all the hype is about the new magnepan speakers, infinity speakers had that technology back in the early 80's, just search for infinity IRS betas the one with 4 12 inch woofers per side and planar mid bass panels, midranges and tweeters with aluminum traces glued to Mylar or the IRS epsilon too for that matter, they were also push/pull designs way back then, their drivers were improved a step further when they replaced the Mylar with kapton in their renaissance speakers and their IRS series speakers omega/sigma/epsilon, so to me the new magnepan technology is not so new at all, it's actually quite old and i'm surprised it took magnepan that long to figure out what infinity knew way back in the day.
Well, Magnepan had this technology in the 70's, so I don't really know what you are getting at?

Are you really comparing 80's era Infinity's, which were inferior to the comparable Magnepan's then, to the modern improved Magnepans?

You obviously never heard them.

BTW, the Magnepa Tympani's from the 80's are about the best speaker I have heard from that era, and some of the best ever made.

Another aside to Podeshi and his crew, I recently went back to a dealer and listend to the 3.7 and 20.1 both with Bryston electronics all around (VPI Classic 3 table) and if you are pimping the 3.7 over the 20.1 you are talking your book; your pocket book. If you can afford the 20.1 it's in a whole differnt league. Deeper for sure, and every bit as fast or faster, bigger soundstage.

It's one of the best speakers ever built. The 3.7 may be as well, but it's not on the same level. Enjoy your 3.7's but when/if you can afford it, buy the 20.1's.
infinity made planar speakers in the 70's too, i'm talking about the newest magnepan designs with the aluminum traces glued to Mylar 1.7's,3.7's, infinity had that type of planars in the 80's that's why i said it took magnepan along time to design what infinity had many years ago, infinity made the irs V speaker in the mid 80's that sold for $60,000.00 back then, these are considered to be one of the best speakers ever made, it would be embarrassing to compare any magnepan speaker ever built to them as the irs v's would put them to shame, i have a pair of infinity IRS epsilons that i thought about replacing because they're getting up in age with the magnepan 3.7's but when i auditioned them a few times i always felt like something was missing and was very disappointed, they're not even in the same league as the epsilons, not even close, check out these.
[img]http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6060/6380912979_79a8db596e_z.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6054/6380968449_774007251a_z.jpg[/img]