Magnepan 3.7

Looks nice, link below.

“the 3.7 is a 3-way, full-range ribbon speaker with a very ‘fast’ quasi-ribbon midrange and true ribbon tweeter.”

"The 3.7 is available in new aluminum trim or our traditional wood trims of oak and cherry. Fabric options are off-white, black and dark gray. Suggested list pricing starts at $5495/pair for aluminum or oak versions, or $5895/pair for the dark cherry versions."

Magnepan 3.7
james63
Epsilonman,

As you point out, the IRS V -- surely one of the greatest speakers ever made -- cost $60,000, and that was when it was new. The priciest Maggie goes for 1/3 of that, 1/6 when you factor in inflation. So you're comparing apples and oranges.

I can't agree with you on comparisons with the smaller Infinity models. They had their virtues, and their problems. So did the IRS V, like any speaker, but it's virtues were so overwhelming that it's hard to argue with it.

I think the big Genesis 1.1's, the speakers most comparable to the IRS, are over $100,000. For that, you could get five pairs of 20.1's and 20 pairs of 3.7's! For which reason they are of practical interest to more of us.

Magenpan had the quasi ribbon before Infinity and Jim Winey apparently wanted to use it in his original production model but didn't, for reasons I'm not clear on. In any case, it's being used now. And it's worth noting that nothing, including the IRS V, has ever equaled Tympani midbass. Sure, the Infinites went lower and louder (although the only time my 1-D's ever bottomed was on cannon shots on the Telarc I812), but the servo woofers couldn't keep up with the planar mids and tweeters, and to my ears, the Tympani woofers are the best ever made, combining as they do planar clarity with dynamic slam. If I did want to go lower and deeper, I'd just add a sub -- one contributor here actually has Bruce Pick's rotary woofer mated with his Tympani IV panels! That goes down to 0 Hz.

By the way, I understand that the 1.7 and 3.7 no longer suffer from the "Mylar sound" that bedevils large planars. That at least is what the reviewers say, I haven't heard them. The foil conductor/Mylar sandwich seems to do a better job of damping traveling waves than the wires. It's never bothered me; I can hear it if I listen, but normally I just tune it out. Unfortunately, all speakers have self-noise of one kind or another. This of course is a matter of taste, it's a sonic flaw and if it bothers you, it does.

Also, as I understand it, Mylar is actually a better sounding material than Kapton for planar drivers. The reason Infinity and other manufacturers used/use Kapton in smaller drivers is that they have to dissipate more heat, and Mylar has a lower melting point.

The reason the smaller Maggies aren't push-pull is, again, one of cost. The 20.1 is push-pull. I don't think you can get away with single-ended in a small driver like the EMIM's and EMIT's, the distortion would be too high.
Kapton is much stronger than Mylar and being that it is stronger you can make the panels much thinner making them lighter, you made some good points, i wonder why magnepan didn't make the whole panels quasi back then, maybe they felt that the cost would be to high, you have to remember that back in 69 they didn't have the equipment to easily make the panels like they do today and it probably would have cost a fortune to make the speaker full quasi.
I was looking for the source that said that Mylar was less resonant than Kapton, but couldn't find it. I did find an old post from Mart at Planar Asylum to the effect that Magnepan uses Mylar because it's less expensive.

By the way, I just saw the price of the Genesis 1.2 -- $235,000! Guess I won't be using them for surround. :-)
I finally got to hear the 3.7s and have to say, after hearing Wilson's and Avalons In the last month, when it comes to low level resolution at least, the Maggie Ribbon kills both. Of course just one man's opinion.

Listening to Diana Kralls "look of love" cd, track 5 "cry me a river" you hear the pressure of the drummer's brushes change as it swirls around snare and call follow the circular motion.

For 5500 I think they are an audio steal and always sound musical. So much so I am finally going to upgrade my bi-amped, MGIIIAs. Will likely add at least one JL Audio sub to replace my current old velodynes because let's be honest the Maggie's will only go so low and if you want true low bass a sub is needed. Since I can not bi-amp the 3.7s i may used the Marchand I have to set up 3 different bass crossover points and slopes.

I haven't heard the 20.7 yet but 3.7s with twin subs is going to be hard to beat by the 20.7 which will cost more by itself than the 3.7/subs combo

Also, perhaps I am lucky but I have never experienced delamination on the IIIAs and I am the original owner and have had them over 20 years.
With my original MGIIBs they has warnings about not having them in direct sunlight but again never experience it with the MGIIIAs

Mike
Mike, I couldn't agree more. I auditioned a lot of speakers and I thought the 3.7's easily played in the Wilson's league. Let's see, $5500 or $17000? Gee, that's a tough decision.

I'm also intrigued by how the 3.7's with subs would stack up against the 20.7's. At the time I bought the 3.7's, the 20.7's were only a rumor, and I ruled them out based on fears about my room being to small. But, based on how much better the 3.7's integrate with my room that my 1.6's did, I wonder if I should rethink that assessment.

Magnepan has just hit it out of the park with the 3.7's in my opinion.