Sony XA7ES is this still a top notch player?

Im looking for the best bang for the buck.
Correct me if Im wrong,but wasnt the design from the XA7EC incorporated into the Sony SCD-1's redbook mode?
If this is true,it would appear the XA7EC can still hold its own.
My budget is ~$700 used.
I am also considering the Marantz 8260 but I have mostly given up on SACD as the titles being released are very far form what I listen to.
I feel I should just settle on a very good 2 channel CD player and let the big companies continue to churn out multi-channel,multiformat units..this 'aint for me.
Thanks for any info.
Fool-
rock_fool
Satch-Thanks for your response.
I have some 14 year old Thiels that I took to the Thiel factory last year for a physical and they tested as good as new.
No sign at all of the surrounds drying out.
The caps and resistors are still fine also.

My first CD player,a cheap $89 Sharp I bought in 1988 is still going strong.My nephew has had it for at least 10 years and uses it constantly.
This past summer I bought my daughter a Technics CD player at a yard sale and it is very quiet and functions 100%. This massive player must be circa late 80's or older.
Lots of vintage preamps,tuners,turntables out there also trouble free.I wouldnt consider the Sony player exactly vintage either.
I would hope a semi-modern or built today $$CD player would last as long as the $89 Sharp I bought in '88.
Sure,it may be a risk buying a 8 year old CD player.Its possible to get a lemon or a abused player but I trust AudiogoN members with excellent feedback.
Im sure not going to be stocking up on replacement parts prior to buying one,if I do.

Fool?

Despite your name, I'm don't think you're a fool :). As I wrote, I would probably buy an older player as well, and no, I wouldn't buy a pile of replacement parts either.
Actually I use a cheap sony, which is some 10 years old, in my secondary system, and apart from cleaning the lens a couple of years ago, it works brilliantly. So I imagine a much better Sony would last much longer.....
I have the same question six years later. Would the XA7ES still be considered good? Would it hold up against newer universal players?

Mark