How far off are wireless audiophile speakers?

Just curious. I know many wireless speakers exist, some with excellent sound. But, do you think we'll see a day where you can ditch speaker wires?
aberyclark
I would think it has the potential to exceed the performance level of even the best cables. The only real downside is that it has no audiophile appeal. If as a group audiophiles reject the advantages of active speakers, then active speakers with built-in digital converters and wireless connectivity won't even get consideration. It's a shame.
You can send high def quality video via wireless hdmi units so I would think this application/technology is readily available.
I've often wondered how that Thiel system sounded. The speakers they are using are amazing as is the sub so given the associated electronics are of the same grade, I bet it sounds damn good. Sure would be easier and eliminate a ton of (pricey in my case) wire. Anyone mess around with that system?
Jamesw20:
You can send high def quality video via wireless hdmi units so I would think this application/technology is readily available.
Right and, more significantly, one can stream high resolution audio wirelessly today (and I do). It is simply a matter of designing suitable applications to meet user's needs.

Kal
Didn't Steinway market a very expensive system a few years back that had amp and pre, CD player built into the speakers?