Best Digital Source That Money Can Buy?

(1) Either single unit CD Player or Transport/DAC combo.

(2) no modded units please, only factory stock models

(3) please rank them if you can

----------------------------------------

A few come to my mind:

EMM Labs, DCC2 SE + CDSA SE combo
Esoteric, P-03/D-03/G-0Rb combo
Wadia, 581 Pro
abe_av
>>to go from 96% of the highest quality available to get the 97% you MUST to pay double<<

Two questions:
1. How did you determine that?
2. How do you measure the 1%?

Thanks in advance.
hi dave:

i have basically posited the concept of "improve the sound" as a "change in the sound" that is preferred.

thus, improving the sound implies changing it and preferring the change.

you have not specified what you mean by "change the sound".
i suspect that improve, in your view, means less inaccurate.
hi Emigene,

what system did you hear the Soulution 740 CDP in? & could you describe why you thought it was so impressive?! thks in advance.
Mrtennis said:
"i think that the sound of any component can be improved by changing caps and resistors, based on my own subjective orientation of 'improve'"

If you believe that, then how can we talk?? You statement cannot be absolutely true, but then you throw in your "subjective orientation of 'improve'". That's a rediculous statement that I can't really respond to.

Dave
To Dcstep:

I hereby append my prior "baseless claim" as follows:

my opinion based on my experience with other digital i have heard is that the dCS Scarlatti DAC might be on another level compared to anything out there. but i have not had everything in my system to compare.

I ask you to once again critique it's worth - but THIS time along with the worth of the next to last paragraph of the initial response in this thread made to the original poster by another member on 8-03-08.