Former MHDT Havana Lovers: What did you move onto?

I have owned and loved this DAC for the past year, but speaker and amp upgrades along with moving to a bigger room have started to flesh out it's weaknesses, namely lack of fine inner details and congestion with complex passages, particularly orchestral. What can give me the same kind of lovely organic timbre with more clarity and detail and perhaps deeper soundstage? I just picked up the Bel Canto DAC2.5 and while definitely more detailed, it just doesn't have that natural and organic sound and is ultimately a little too clinical and fatiguing to my ears (Benchmark wo uld probably make my head explode).

Yes, I have rolled NOS tubes - Bendix 2c51, WE396A/2c51, Tungsol 2c51, but that can only do so much. I do have V-Cap OIMP caps that I'm going have installed so that should help, but to what degree remains to be seen.

I am considering trying the Bryston BDA-1 and Ayre QB-9. Tranquility SE looks interesting but relatively high output impedance and not particularly high voltage will probably not work too well with my Placette Passive Linestage. Suggestions under $2k used or new appreciated.

Thanks!
eugene81
I currently have the Wyred4Sound DAC 2, and it's very detailed and powerful, I think I liked the Havana better.

I had the Bryston BDA-1 for about a year, and in my system that was the best DAC I have heard. It was just sublime. I think I may go back to that DAC.
Went from a Havana (with the Bendix) to a QB-9 for the same reasons: just not enough detail and control from the NOS DAC. Didn't listen very widely before I got it, but just so happens I did in fact compare it pretty closely to the new Bel Canto 3.5, and preferred the Ayre (again) because it was less clinical than the Bel Canto. Of course, any DAC is just a small piece of a much bigger puzzle, but very pleased with the move from the Havana to the Ayre in my setup.
First: FORGET most of what I said about the Bel Canto DAC 2.5. I had been running it direct using the built-in digital volume control. When I plugged it into my Placette it improved considerably! Less harsh, more depth, subtlety, and delicacy. It is a very good DAC! Still not quite as natural and organic as the Havana, but technically superior and still a touch warm and pretty liquid. The differences running into the Placette are pretty surprising since the Placette is nothing more than a passive resistor ladder!

Mezmo, how much better/natural is the Ayre vs. the Bel Canto in your opinion? Right now I'm considering replacing the Paradisea in my bedroom with the Havana and keeping the DAC 2.5 so I can swap in the Havana when I feel like it. It is very hard to let go of that DAC. If I went to the Ayre I would have to sell the Havana, so I would only want to do this if the improvement from BC to Ayre is substantial. I have read a couple comparisons between the 3.5 and QB-9 stating that they are more similar than different but the Ayre has a just a little more air and delicacy.

Macdadtexas, I have read your thoughts on the Bryston a couple times in other threads. :) I would like a second opinion, ideally from someone who has heard the Bryston, Havana, and Ayre.
If organic is your thing (like me), I recently went from the EE minimax (ultra organic) to the new Calyx DAC. Comes in slightly under your budget and has all that wonderful (tube like) warmth with tons of detail and air. I'm using it with Harbeth C7's and class A tubes (Audiomat Opera).

Highly recommended.