TUNERS..anyone?

Hey all,Im getting back into the FM thing since I was given a Adcom GFT-1A
The antenna is a $15 Radio Shack cat.# 15-1843 it is about 4"x4" and 1/2" thick.It seems to pull in stations really good and lights up the signal strength meter on the tuner to 5 out of 5.
I love the sound of this tuner and it's my first adventure with good FM.I can't believe how transparent,warm and smooth this thing sounds.My only complaint is the drums(rock music/metal) coming through with lack of slam.The drums seem like they are far away,distant like.If I crank the volume that helps some but they still just don't have the slam Im use to with vinyl and CD.
1) whats up with that?
2) WHY does FM sound so DAMN good??
3) Whats a KILLER tuner (used) for <$1K?
david99
Sugar; you're absolutely right-- when I got the GFT-1A, I put Kimber PBJ on it without much thought because they were lying around. But, I also have a spare pair of Syn Res Phase 2 (w/active shields)-- I'll have to try them. Really, it didn't occur to me to try high quality ICs on a pretty inexpensive tuner. Thanks. Craig.
I have used most of todays tuners inc the Magnum Dynalab Etude, Fanfare and guess what? Best I have come across is the old Mcintosh MR71. Usually, they are expensive but you might score one at a good price.

If the Mac is too expensive for you, the Yamaha T2 is the other which consider. It KILLS the Etude and the Fanfare in all respects.
Luxman tuners of late 70s early 80s vintage still outperform the venerable Yamahas. Smoother, better selectivity.
Hey Craig- I have PBJ's on my 1A !! spooky huh????
I did have my Micro Purls on the 1A but just last week put them on my Planet CDP.
Keep them coming guys.Looks like the Yamaha T2 is a good bet so far.
As in other threads, I will say that I have owned tens and tens of tuners (just about everything including the Rotel RHT-10 that I later had Don, you know who, modified (this is the tuner you might see being commmented on in several discussion threads on tuners). It was very transparent and yes, had, detailed bass but it was not as involving as my tube guys) and have yet to find one that is more musical and involving than a good tube tuner BUT.....if you do not have it aligned (afterall we are talking about a 33+ year old electronic device and what of anything would you own of that age without getting it some maintenance updates) and as or more important, forget listening to one without getting the best tubes for it such as Mullard Gold Pins and the better Telefunkens. Those commenting on the sonic quality of the better tube tuners without these caveats is sort of like saying that "I drove a Porsche 911 and did not think it performed very well" without telling you or maybe were unaware it was running on 87 octane fuel and the plugs had gone 15K miles beyond their recommended limits.