Balanced or single ended leads from your arm.

While cartridges have balanced output at the pins, not many head amps can accept balanced inputs. It seems as though with longer lines, it will be easier to position the table where it just works better in the room when balanced lines eliminate hummmmm.

What hase been your experience in this situation; balanced out, single ended out with no adverse effects.

thanks Ken
kftool
Jfrech, here is a post that Victor Komenko of BAT made awhile back that sums up his view on the matter. The 6db advantage in SNR actually goes to the SE connection between the TT & the phono stage.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=31747&highlight=balanced+phono+cable&r=&session=
I changed from using phono RCA into a ClearAudio Balance Phono with XLR balanced out to Balanced input on ARC pre-amp and rest of my system TO phono RCA in and out of an ARC Phono Ref. My findings are that the noise floor increased slightly but that was counteracted somewhat by the superior soundstage and resolution of the ARC Ref.
I know its not really a fair comparison going solid state to tube and ARC was about 4x higher in price and to be honest, also of course fully balanced lines decrease the attenuation, etc.
I am now actively researching either swopping the ARC Ref for a fully balanced phono or having the Ref modded to XLR in & out. Especially so since Harry has started offering an XLR junction box wired in Valhalla to match the arm rewires.
A London dealer told me that the new ARC phono PH7 can be built full balanced to special factory order for about £1k extra.
Bit of a 'head scratcher' decision so responses welcome - anybody gone from an ARC Ref Phono to a PH7?
Albert my comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. You will agree that your endosremnet of something other than Purist is an anomaly. Especialy since they cost less than the packaging Purist Cables probaly come in.

"Personally I prefer the..." All of us who know your system expected that sentence to end in Purist cables. I for one am glad you are not afraid to step outside the box.
re BAT balanced inputs:

When Viktor made that post in 2000 the VKP10's XLR inputs were not balanced and there was no advantage to using them. At the time Viktor did not think balanced from the cartridge was an advantage. I think the only balanced end to end phono stage was the FM.

Later on, maybe when the VKP10SE was introduced, the XLR inputs were balanced and Viktor recommended them over the RCA. I think now even the P10 is balanced end to end and maybe older P10s can be updated.

So somewhere along the line Viktor was able to overcome the disadvantage he stated in his AA post and make his phono stage balanced end to end.

I think Aesthetix may have undergone a similar evolution as I think they are now also balanced end to end.

One of the things Viktor's evolution means to me is that a balanced phono stage is not so easy to design and you might end up worse off.
George a: thanks for the update. I know when I went from a RCA input to XLR it improved-rather marked...not subtle. Anyway...thanks and good luck all.