help noisy vpi motor

I just received a HW-19 III table, purchased over the internet. And apparently, I paid the price and more, as the motor sounds like there's gravel in it. How loud should a properly running HW-19 motor sound? Is the motor replaceable, where could I find one, and what might it cost? Help! Ben
128x128balthus
As Jameswei says, the motor should be silent. If the motor is making noise it should be replaced. I see you have a wanted ad posted so you might find someone who upgraded to the SAMA and has an extra motor. Failing that I would definitely contact VPI to see if the motor is still available. The motor "assembly" does include a mounting bracket so you may be able to buy just the motor for a few dollars less. If memory serves me right the HW-19 used a Hurst motor which should be still available from Hurst.
I'd expect a TT to be fully functional upon receipt. Was it insured for shipping damage? Good luck
you may have already checked this, but - is the cover interferring with the pully? That is, are you sure it's the motor making the sound, or could it be the pully rubbing on the cover. I had a HW19 and the cover would rub the pully unless washers were placed between the cover/plate and the stand-offs.
It's definitely not the pulley, and the noise is audible up to three feet away. I'll check around for a motor, I'm afraid the SAMA will be out of my price range. Thanks for your help! Ben
Troydion is selling a motor for 75.00 on audiogon.
You might also want to try some oil on the shaft it will seep into the bearings. I had a Sama that ticked and that is how I stoped it. It looks sealed but it is not. I also had mine running while I did it.