DIY Record Cleaning Solution

I just purchased a vpi 17 record cleaner. I'd like to make my own solution. Any suggestions? What has worked for you?
jimateo
What do you mean "isopropyl will harden vinyl", how so? This is the first I ever heard of this. I have been using isopropyl for awhile without any problems. Do you have any other information or source for this? Not that I doubt you, but I don't want to damage my records.
Maclogan, your always thrashing folks on threads about record cleaning. I'd be interested to hear what you use for cleaning your records.

For Jimateo, search the archives. Use whatever the hell formula you want on your records. Be aware that there is no one cleaner that will work in all circumstances if you buy used records. You will need an alcohol based-cleaner (not on those old 78's!) and you will probably at some point need an enzyme-based cleaner. You will always need a good, quality rinse water.
Dan_Ed, I welcome Maclogan's comments, and with my participation in this thread, only hope to perhaps help him, make him see another side, rather than alienate him, and make an enemy. Enemies are easy to make, and who needs enemies, in the real world, or online.

And your comments are well taken, and that's exactly why I use either a 3, or 4 step AIVS process to clean all my LP's. None get discriminated against. When my new Mo-Fi Santana's came a month ago, out came the 16.5 an AIVS. The LP's were the ugliesy Mo-Fi's I have in my possession. Looked like somebody walked over them, but they played dead quiet.
My biggest concerns about DIY, is using friendly chemicals, and chemicals, waters that have the lowest solidity content. Mark
I THINK A FEW OF YOU ARE WAY OFF BASE. THIS THREAD WAS INITIATED BY ME, TO FIND OUT WHAT DIY FORMULAS WERE OUT THERE. WHAT DO YOU USE? WHAT FORMULA? THAT SORT OF THING...
THIS WASN'T INTENDED TO BE A DEBATE ON THE "CONCEPT".
PLEASE SEND ANY SUGGESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE FOR CLEANERS THAT HAVE WORKED FOR YOU, AND LET US ALL KNOW WHAT DOESN'T WORK.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
Yes, you are correct Jimateo, you did initate this thread, and sorry that it went off on another tangent.

I will tell you the same as another has mentioned, but in a kinder fashion, to search archives, here, and others, like Audio Asylum, an Audio Karma. The more knowledge you gain, the better armed you will be to ultimately decide what path you choose to take, and what products, whether DIY, or commercial.

Probably nothing is perfect, as vinyl is not a perfect medium, and never will be.

As I think I earlier mentioned, and touched on, the purer, and higher quality-grade ingredients you use will only be a benefit. Naturally, the base ingredient in any cleaner will be water, and if you can acquire water purer than single step distilled, this will be a large help. Places like Nerl sell reagent grade water, and something like 20 liters is only something like $28 shipped. This quality of water will help when rinsing off any cleaners-residues, regardless of who makes them.

From what I understand, alcohols in of themself, don't really do a heck of a lot, as one would think they do, as far as removing certain contaminants. It actually serves more as a surfactant I understand, helping make water "wetter". Many commercial cleaners avoid alcohol as an ingredient.

Again sorry for the "wandering" of your post, and I hope some of what was written here, was of some help, best of luck. Mark