Tracking error distortion audibility

I recently unpacked my turntable from a couple of years of storage. It still sounds very good. Several times during playback of the first few albums I literally jumped from my chair to see which track was playing as it sounded so great. After a while I realized the "great" sound was always at one of the "null" points. They seem to occur at the approximately the proper place (about 125mm from spindle) and near the lead out groove. Questions:
Is this common? I have improved the resolution of my system since the table's been in storage but I don't remember hearing this before.
All others geometric sources of alignment error not defined by the null points (VTA, azimuth etc.) are essentially constant through out the arc correct? If so they should cancel out. I assume the remedy is a linear tracking arm but I am surprised at how obviously better the sound is at these two points.
Table - AR ES-1, Arm - Sumiko MMT, Cart. - Benz Glider, Pre - Audible Illusions, Speakers - Innersound electrostatic hybrid
Do linear arms really sound as good across the whole record as I hear at only the nulls with my set-up?
feathed
Dertonarm,
I understand your simple and accurate description of tonearm geometry very well. Thanks. It really does make sense, and perhaps SME made this mistake back when their arms were originally disigned. My only point is that once an owner knows the stylus tip to mounting hole distance and gets a specific protractor made for his/her arm/cartridge combination, the SME V arm can be very accurately positioned and the cartridge properly aligned. Surely, this can be attested to by happy SME arm owners.
Howdy Dertonarm, and All
I had some time to speak to the old Egyptians (during my sleep last night), so here goes.

1) It is impossible to adjust overhang by moving the whole tonearm !!
THIS STATEMENT (ON ITS OWN) IS INCORRET. OVERHANG IS THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE STYLUS AND THE CENTRE PIN WHEN THE TONE ARM IS IN LINE WITH THE CENTRE PIN (most tone arms do not allow physically to move this far, but the stylus' prescribed arc will exactly show it also (look at an LP12 set-up template and you'll see what I say is correct).

2) Overhang is a value that DEPENDS on the geometry of the given tonearm !!!
THIS STATEMENT IS CORRECT AS IT STANDS.

3)The geometry of ANY pivot tonearm has one foundation: the spindle-bearing distance (= mounting distance).
THIS IS ALSO CORRECT -- IF "GEOMETRY" MEANS "OVERHANG" IN THIS CONTEXT.

4) If you move the pivot of the bearing away from the specified value as given by the designer, the whole geometry of your tonearm is gone!
THIS IS ONLY CORRECT IF (AGAIN) "GEOMETRY" MEANS OVERHANG.
But since overhang is adjustable with EVERY arm, either by head-shell (oblong holes) or moving the arm-post it is NOT "gone" as you put it.

Here is the deal from the 2500 year old Egyptian.
First ask why do you have OVERHANG in the first place, and than also ask WHY do different arm specify DIFFERNT overhangs, and why do different so called 9" arms have not exactly the same distance between mounting hole and pivot, and pivot and centre pin?!
BECAUSE IT ONLY MATTER SO... MUCH!
All we do with these different measurements, is using the OVERHANG to ensure that the two NULL-POINTS (or zero tangential tracking error) are distributed to the "right" places (two) over the record!
Note: This "right" place does not even exist!
Every expert has his own idea of what's best, not just Baerwald, Linn, etc. etc. not even the Egyptians would know.
Why? Because it e.g. depends how wide you decide to 'spread' the two "Null-Points" i.e. the shorter the overhang the narrower the 'spread' (distance between the two points) since you have made the tone-arm's prescribed arc smaller. MORE overhang conversely gives you a wider spread. So there is some agreement on "more or less" where you want to allow the most and where the least error ---- and that's ALMOST all.

But not all things are quite equal:
The pivot to centre pin distance ALSO determines WHERE on the record your particular "null-point spread" would be! No good to have a zero tracking-error where there is NO GROOVE, (or better where there is MOSTLY no groove).
So having determined e.g. that it (null-point) is some 2 1/2" from the label (inside), then you figure it is say ~ 1/2 inch after the start groove --- you obtain by geometrical principal the overhang required for a GIVEN pivot to centre pin tone-arm measure.
That's why (amongst other things like alignmnet preference)not all overhangs are quoted the same (15, 17, 18 mm, etc.), because the pivot to centre pin distances are not all the same with 9" arms or 10.5" , 12" etc.!

So back to the geometry argument and how 'crewed up' the Egyptian says it gets.
Let's look at SME again, OK.
The "error" comes in by the arm-post (arm pivot) moving, to obtain a pre-determined overhang (given by SME set-up template). We now ever so slightly change the arc, by e.g. moving the arm post forward with e.g. a cart of shortish stylus mounting hole distance.
But HOW MUCH will that be? My current experience tells me within 1mm, of course it depends on the cart. Take a VERY odd one, the Dynavector 17D3 Karat Cartridge and it will get as way-out as it gets, perhaps 2mm short of the more average 9mm distance --- so I'll better not use that, unless I dig the resultung change in alignment.

Back to the +/- 0.5mm stylus mounting hole variation. Now if the distance is more, the 'null point spread' gets a bit wider and visa versa a bit narrower when the distance (stylus / mounting hole) gets less.
The question is: How much is "a bit"?
That "bit" is equal to the above mentioned flavours of overhang producing Linn, Baerwald and what not, alignments --- take your pick. Go with what sounds best for your system and your ears. I have tried (from one template alone) about four different overhang flavours, each one having it's pros and cons. The difference between them (resulting change of prescribed arc) is not more than a few mm of where these Null-point wind up on the record.

So what's the Egyptian say: Don't worry be happy --- unless you INSIST on a particular geometry (alignment) that is NOT a Linn (then don't by one) or a SME then don't either.
Both of these have FIXED head-shell holes / arm-pivot to head-shell to centre pin distances. And both have been going for longer than ANY of the all current offerings also, funny no?
Linn sells their own carts and by that they make sure you got it right, SME hope you get the right cart +/- since they know it is NOT THAT critical after all, where you null-point are. 1-2 mm this way or that way will be hard to tell, even with bats-ears I guess.
Greetings,
Axel
Dear Peterayer, agreed. When you know the stylus tip to mounting hole distance you can get a good geometry with new calculation based on the SME V's mounting distance. Thats where the MINT protactor and its specific individual calculation comes into place.
Dertonarm,
one more thing :-)
Done my pivot / spindle measurement on the SME-V and it is: 215.35 mm give or take 0.0... something!
The adjustments with a PW, Dorian, DV X20-L are minute actually, all changing this distance value by some few 100th of a millimetre, hallo!
So it looks like we are making one BIG elephant out of a fly here.
So, all's in butter, right?
Now, if we still have IGD, then what?!
Greetings,
Axel
Dear Axelwahl,
I will keep it as short as possible.
1) it is possible to adjust teh overhang by moving the whole tonearm. But if you do so, your specified mounting distance is gone unless you move your tonearm on a circle segment always amintaining the very same spindle-bearing distance. This is a simple geometric fact. A sheet of paper and a pair of dividers will nicely illustrate the point.
2) The geometry depends on the mounting distance of the tonearm as the first NON-variable parameter of the basic calculation. If you adjust the overhang (which depends on the spindle-bearing distance founded geometry...) by altering the basic parameter, the overhang you just adjusted to is no longer the overhang you tried to align to..... because you moved the tonearm.....
3) the overhang DEPENDS on the mounting distance - not vice versa....
4) It is a BIG difference, whether you adjust the overhang with oblonged holes in the headshell (because the mounting distance remains, as you do not move the tonearm.... only the stylus) or by moving the tonearm. To adjust the overhang is a movement RELATIVE to the FIXED tonearm. You move the stylus relative to the bearing pivot and the spindle - not the tonearm!!
The spindle and the pivot bearing are FIXED PARAMETERS because their distance is the FOUNDATION of your tonearms geometry.
You can choose different zero-error points on the arc of the tonearm/stylus movement over the LP's surface and by doing so you can - for instance - bring the 2nd zero-error point closer to the inner grooves.
However - the basic geometry of your tonearm remains the same.
The nice alignment tool provided with every Graham tonearm gives a nice idea. You can align your cartridge to either Loefgren or Baerwald geometry, but you do so without moving the Grahams base - you align at the headshell only.........
The groove modulations in any LP are VERY small. A "bit" derivation results in HUGE errors in de-modulating because the VERY TINY polished areas of your stylus are no longer aligned.
Thats the difference in playback between distortion-free High-end and "so so" sound with inner groove distortion.
1-2 mm........ well, your polished flanks on the stylus are 2-8 µm (thats 1000th of a millimeter).....
1-2 mm here are 10 - 20 miles in real world playback.
So - in metapher, you are "still in the same county or district, but you are no longer in the same block, you are in a different part of the city - and you will never find the address the Lady gave you to meet her...."
In analog playback all quality starts here - at the demodulation in the grooves of the LP. If you do not precisely align 100% here - you will have an endless (and futile...) journey trying to fix problems in your system which you never can locate or solve.