Is the Basis 2001 a solid enough table to keep.

If I bought a Basis 2001 table only, could I make it a great turntable with the addition of a well thought out arm and cartridge combo? Or not try to re-invent the wheel (My first turntable in 20 plus years). Or should I try buying a complete setup i.e. Nottingham Space Deck w/space arm or VPI Classic?
Thanks, Greg
gandme
Same motor as the top of the line Basis tables. A Vector would be the best arm for that table. I owned an older model 2001 for a couple of years and it was a solid performer. As you move up the line into the thicker, heavier platters the bass impact improves.
Yes, all of their tables, even the cheapest are built to very high standards (very close tolerance machining) and will perform well for a long time. The 2001 model has a top quality bearing and motor, which are very important to achieving quiet operation.

If you are looking at a used table, consider buying a new belt. Belts do wear out, and the current model belt is ground to very tight tolerances and performs much better than the older belts.

The Vector arm would be the logical choice for this table, but even a cheaper arm, like the Rega RB 300, should work well. This table does not have a separate armboard, so, once a hole is drilled for the arm, you may be limited in terms of future upgrade of tonearms, so this should be factored into your choice. It might pay to call A.J. Conti at Basis to discuss arm options.
I originally owned a Basis 1400 with a Rega RB 300 tonearm, and I was very happy with that for a couple of years. (It was my re-entry back into the world of analog, after about 10-12 years.) However, I wanted to upgrade to something a bit more resolving as well as wanting to get a table with a suspension, as my little girl loves to dance to the music. So after a couple of years I did upgrade.

I currently use a Basis 2001 turntable, with a Vector M3 tone arm, (and a Dynavector XV-1S cartridge), and I am very happy with it. I have owned the table for about five years now. It is very resolving and has a very, very low noise floor. (And since it has a suspension, my little girl can dance as much as she likes, and I never have any problems.)

FYI: When I first bought this turntable, I could not afford a Vector tone arm, so I bought a lightly used Rega RB 900 tonearm to use as a stop gap measure until I could afford said Vector tone arm. (BTW, in case you don't know, you need to have AJ Conti install a sleeve onto the Rega arms as the standard hole in the plinth is a bit too large.) This original version of my 2001 table sounded very good, coming close to the current Vector's sound. (The Vector is just a bit more resolving and a bit more quiet than the Rega arm. I also like the arm lift better on the Vector as it drops more consistently than either of the Rega's I've owned.)

I have heard the Basis 2500, (with the Vector tone arm), and it is an improvement on the 2001, as it indeed has a bit more very low bass impact, as suggested by Dan_ed. It is not night and day better, but nonetheless it is better. When I get the opportunity, I would like to upgrade to the 2500, but until a good deal comes up, and I have the money, I will happily use my 2001.

I can recommend the Basis 2001 to anyone wanting to get to a mid-level table that one can happily live with for many years. My two cents worth anyway.