An analog question for those who record

I am going to buy either a reel to reel or a VHS recorder to record my vinyl onto for repeated playbacks. Is recording vinyl possible by simply hooking my preamp up to a VCR hitting record and dropping the needle. This would be ideal as it has a long run time via the VCR tapes. I have heard VCRS have good analog sound. Should I just go with a reel to reel? Cassettes arent really an option but I have heard some recordings from vinyl onto cassette that sound great. I also am aware of digital recording using audacity and have used it hundreds of times. However I like analog and if I want digital I will just pop in a cd. Do you think there would be a huge difference in the quality one way or another.
davidnboone
Back in the day I tried recording onto a VHS HiFi deck and though the fidelity was very nice it was not a user friendly format in trying to search for songs if the need arose or time it took to fill out a long VHS tape in recording.

Honestly if you want to preserve your vinyl collection onto another analogue format get yourself a good cassette deck. 3 heads often give you the best choice especially if you go with models older than say 1990 when the manufactures put a lot of time and money into good decks. But also there are some sleeper two head decks from makers such as Nakamichi (though their three headers were generally among the best) and Harmon Kardon among others good made in Japan two head decks.

Finding good new tape stock is hard today but lots of NOS on eBay etc.

Properly recorded vinyl onto a good cassette deck can be quite impressive, give you a lot of that analogue sound vinyl gives and it very user friendly.
I have a good 1/2 track reel, a cassette deck, good VCR that I used for that purpose once upon a time; now I use the PC. I hope that tells you something.
orpheus it tells us you can't tell the difference between digital and analog and you've already stated as much in numerous other posts that you've tried to lead down the same path. The original post is about archiving analog into analog.
Look for a 3 head cassette tape deck that has DBX noise reduction. Luxman made one,I believe it is the KX 103. I have one and it is auto reverse and anything recorded with DBX rivals and kicks ass over the CD medium hands down. So if you use 90 minute cassettes,thats 90 minutes of music,that will get you through a game of eight ball. I know nachamichi made a DBX deck along with Denon with three heads.
Only thing is you can only play a DBX encoded tape on a deck with an encoder or a pre that has an encoder in it.
If you do go VHS, I think some of mine wanted a video signal like mentioned above. Even a menu display from another VCR feeding something for a video source just to make the recordings. I use a Sony RCD-W500C CD recorder for convenience now. The rec out from a preamp to it makes some decent recordings with its built in A/D converter. It needs blank CD-R *music*,not data discs though. About $15 for 50 of them.