BEST REAR PROJECTION HDTV??

HI all-
replacing my current hitachi ultravision with a 53" high def TV and looking for recommendations. budget about $5k but could go a little more if needed. no real space for front projection (narrow type room and recessed space for TV - no screen), so going with RPTV. Ideas? Thanks!
bazmataz
I think thats wonderful that the store will match your internet quote!! Now you're getting somewhere.... I would be surprised if the Elite isn't as bright or detailed. Got to wonder if it needed a little adjustment. I actually have my "sharpness" and "brightness" turned down (set to -3) to make the picture more natural. Buy the one you like the best, thats really the point. Its interesting that you mentioned that the Mit is in a smaller package. Is it shorter or more shallow? Because the Elite screen goes to within 1" of the edge of the cabinet, except on the bottom where they put some speakers (you wont' use) and the crts.
Bazmataz,

In store head to head comparing is worthless. These sets have so many things to adjust, and hence so many things to be wrong, that you just can't rely on in store. Different dvd players interreact differently with different sets so each set has to be adjusted with your dvd player for optimal performance. The lighting, cables, etc, can be different. Were both sets displayed with the same signal form the same dvd player? Was one progressive and one interlaced? My 510 looks vastly superior at home than it did at the store. Of course, it should after you tweak it the way you like it.

It is common for stores to have their sets set up in "torch mode" i.e. the brightness and contrast turned way up. This may sell sets to the masses but it has nothing to do with accuracy and long term viewing pleasure. It's like turning the treble way up on your stereo, it may sound good for a short time (ie an in store demo) but it's fatiguing long term and ultimately not enjoyable.

You'll love the 520.
hi-
actually, both tvs were directly side by side, with the same ntsc signal from satellite and the same hd channel when set that way. each was placed to factory default settings as well.

as far as the issue of size, the mits was not as wide as the pioneer, but had a 55" screen. the pioneer is only 53". the difference is in the side of the tv, where the mits only has about 1cm of space on each side (left and right) while the pioneer has more like one inch...

guess i'll stick with the 520...
Bazmataz, I've owned an Elite 510 for almost two years now, and It's worth every penny I spent! Don't get too hung up on which television looks better in the store! They all can be tweaked once you have it at home! Also if you do decide on the Pioneer wait for at least a month before having it ISF calibrated, the reason being if their is a problem with the set, it will have shown up by then.

I had a bad red gun that had a small pin hole on it and had to be replaced. It has been flawless since then! Also you can Duvetyne the set yourself, and save a few dollars that the ISF tech will charge you. By doing this the contrast will be much improved, giving you even better depth in your video. Good luck!
Who sells Pioneer Elites for the best possible price? Wouldn't you worry about getting beat up in shipping? I'm in the market for a HDTV and have been looking at the higher end Hitatachi's Mitsubishi and Pioneer Elites. I'm not sure I can afford an Elite but could swing one if I could get a really good price. What are the model #'s on the Diamond Series Mitsubishi's? Thanks for a response for a newbie.!!!