....expanding from car audio into home...need help

i certainly need help...tons of opinions desired...

alright...i've spent about 3 years forming great and wonderful opinions on car audio.

however, none of the brands that i use in my car make home stuff.....well, i take that back...nakamichi does. i'm sure that car audio stuff wouldn't work as well in the home as home audio would....

however....i don't want to jump into the higher end stuff for my apartment that i have in my car.

i'd like to get a *decent* reciever/tuner (i don't even know what the difference is) that i can hook up to my new bigscreen. (my roommates and i went in on a new toshiba 50" projection)

so...about what would i be looking to spend for a quality, low priced *thing* that will get me surround sound (and i assume that the new digital thingy is better than 5.1 surround?)

so...help me out guys. :) i know that it's all INCREDIBLY subjective....but, i'm pretty sure that i don't want to buy anything that they sell at best buy or circuit city, so i gotta get on the web to get help.

i appreciate it. :)
onlyshawn
oh...i'm a big, GIANT fan of used. :) tireguy...that's about exactly what i needed. i think i'll go with the onkyo or the denon...just because the name is a little more easily recognized. i'm sure the outlaw is good, but if i've never heard of it, the airheads that i would be trying to sell it to around here wouldn't have heard of it. :) that's the problem i have w/ my car stereo equipment. if it doesn't say 'JL' or 'Kicker', forget about selling it. grrr.

we already stepped up to the component video wires (red, green, blue) from the dvd to the tv.
onlyshawn

don't WASTE your money on 5:1 home theatre

get a great two channel setup instead
with seperate amp and preamp
(or at least an NAD integrated)

music isn't a 5 channel thing
and only a few movies are worth it

I have a killer 2 channel setup
with a Proton 36" tube tv
it blows away any home surround system soundwise anyone I know has compared it to (the owner's opinions, not my biased one)
and the money is spent on the components and great music reproduction
not bells and whistles

to stay on the inexpensive side
stick with manufacturers like NAD or SOnic Frontiers on the amp and preamp (you'll leap up to the real expensive stuff later), buy used on audiogon or get a nice deal at your local reputable dealer. Speakers? B&W or Paradign
CD? get a nice CD/DVD combo Toshiba, NAD
don't forget to spend a little money on interconnects

anyway
good luck

Tom
go check out outlaws reviews at www.audioreview.com most customers say that they beat any $1000 receiver at $499. Outlaws website is WWW.outlawaudio.com. If you go with the denon, try to get a used avr5600 or 5700...maybe now is the time to teach your friends that the best stuff out there is the stuff they haven't heard of. Check out the Rotel receivers too