Totally Confused about home theater

I have been many years in audio, but video is an alien field to me...I recently purchased my first TV ever (27" Sony WEGA) and I'm 39!

I was wondering just how critical it is to match the surround speakers. I bought a pair of Swans M-1 satellites with ribbon tweeters and have a pair of Mirage MBS bipolars with polycarbonate dome tweeters.

This has become very confusing, for I have an extra pair of Wharfedale Diamond 7.1's with the same polycarbonate tweeter. Definitely, I have enough gear to have two separate systems (including an old Proton 600T Preamp/Video Tuner I picked up at a pawn shop and an Audio Control 5 band EQ with knobs).

Should I go for two channel HT? Should I keep them in separate rooms or as two separate systems in the same room? Is there any real difference between 5.1 and 7.1?

For the record, I *do* appreciate the simplicity of my Melos SHA-1 hybrid preamp: just On/Off, 3-input selector and volume--that's it. Not even balance or a tape loop. Straightline design...and extremely musical.

I would appreciate any suggestions, since after e-mailing several members here they are all 100% audio and could not help me...and when I go to stores the HT systems sound so awful I just have to leave! Salesmen knowledge is nonexistent, also. Have you ever heard those dolls that you pull a string and it says a sentence? That's exactly how those kids sound to me!!! They just repeat the same things over and over and over...no reasoning power whatsoever.

Thanks.
psychicanimal
Well Mr. Bishop, what should I do with my Mirage MBS Bipolars? Will it be OK to use them as rear surrounds with the Swans' ribbon tweeter? I have a back wall adjacent to my couch. Would it be worthwhile to use them as side surrounds and get some others for the rear?

I think the video guys are following a "Top-down" approach to their rigs. Just look at this guy's system:

http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon/

Sonically, it is not what any of us here would do (my ears can't stand Polk speakers for a start), but he knows what he's doing: He has setup a HOME THEATER. A pretty damn good one if you ask me.

Just as we strive to bring the 'spirit of the music' in our systems and then move on to 'audio Nirvana' this peregrine falcon has achieved the 'spirit of the movie theater' in his residence. To go to HT Nirvana he would need to upgrade to separates and some bad ass JMlab's...he would forget Polk in a snap!
Psychicanimal - I'm not sure what your goals are, but I'd offer the following points:

A major consideration is whether you're going to go with one system or two. I love both music and HT and space dictates one system, so my focus is on making a system that is as good as possible for both which, necessarily, involves some compromise. I'd make that decision first.

For HT, I'd set up a simple 5.1 setup (though agree with Sean that even 2-channel HT is a HUGE upgrade over straight TV). I'd set my decoder on Dolby Digital and forget about it for a good long time. There are more formats coming out every day. They undoubtedly have a lot to offer. You might decide you want to pursue them some day. But for the time being, brand new to this part of the hobby, I'd just do DD and forget about it. Every DVD is compatible, no confusion, lots of fun.

For your rears, use whatever you have laying around, at least to start. The front three really need to be a matched set, but the rears can be fine as just a pair of decent speakers set up in back. Again, if you find yourself loving it, you might decide to upgrade them, and there would be benefit to doing so, but the basic experience will be there without spending more to get matched rears.

If you go with a single system, you'll have to decide how you want to optimize for sound - there are many more things that might matter to you in a combined system than in a 2-channel, music-only system, unless you decide up front that you're going to optimize completely for 2-channel sound. There are many threads around detailing how you might achieve better sound for both through various options. Lots of gear to choose from, most of which has significant strengths and weaknesses.

I sympathize with your audioMart experiences - I can't find anybody at any store who offers any kind of real advice. I think anybody reading this forum knows LOTS more than most people who make a living at this about gear just by reading the magazines and forums, etc.

Hope this helps. -Kirk

stay away from home theatre

and stay away from circuit city type places

find a reputable audio store, even if it's a long drive to audition (bring familiar discs with you)

home theatre is a made for the masses "more is better" mentality. it's designed to make you think your stereo system from yesteryear is obsolete, nothing could be more deceiving.

now I have heard a few nice HT setups, and sold a few (B&W speakers), but outside of select movies - nothing is recorded in a 5 channel setup. IT's a gee wow thing.

2 channel done properly can interface very well with video

I have taken HT nuts over to my house and watched their jaws drop on many occasions. then they feel robbed for all the money they spend on less musical - more dramatic boom boom stuff

tom
How about a reasonable middle ground, Audiotomb? One does not have to abandon HT all together to have a satisfying all-in-one system.

Just understand that there are compromises to be made and you need to prioritize what you want when selecting components and speakers. Many of the old "high end" manufacturers are delving into the realm of HT and their products represent a satisfactory way of getting a nice balance.

Stick with matched speaker systems if possible, and definitely across the front, but there is more room for fudging w/ the surrounds. If you can't match the surrounds, look for speakers w/ similar drivers/materials, and sensitivity as your front speakers. Listen to them on two-channel music side-by-side w/ your mains. You can match things up that way.

Go for separates so that you can always integrate (or convert to) a pure 2-channel setup. Many of the better pre/pros offer a pass through for a two-channel configuration. And, increasingly, they have analog bypass features that allow you to use a top-notch CD player or upgrade to an outboard decoder/processor. Flexible bass management is also important and will allow you to get the most out of your surrounds.

Don't allow so-called "purists" to scare you into not giving a combo system a try. It can be very satisfying if configured and calibrated properly.
But there's a way I can use them 'separately'...

I bought a six input switchbox from Decware. I can hook up my VCR and DVD to the Proton Preamp/Video Tuner up front in a separate rack (along with my tuner) and send the signal to the third input of my Melos SHA-1 preamp. I am routing the DVD's digital out via a 50 ft coaxial cable to my Soundstream/Krell DAC and am getting decent movie sound.

My concerns are:

1) Whether the Mirage's Bipolar polycarbonate tweeters would be OK to use in conjunction with my Swans' ribbon tweeter.

2) Since I'm still living a nomadic existence (and it looks it will be so for a few years), will a Bipolar surround be the ticket? I even thought of making my own stands and rigging in a rotating paddle (like in the earlier Bose 301 models). That way I could redirect the rear firing surround energy as needed...

3) If the Bipolars are OK but the tweeters are not a match for the ribbons, would it be worthwhile to replace all four tweeters?

This is where I am at right now...