Is SACD really this lousy?

Bought a Sony SCD 1 and this is boring me in my system. Have had it for 2 weeks and just cannot get interested. Previously I had a CAL CL2o and we were astounded by how the DVD DAD's sounded-fall into the soundstage, reach out and touch the performers. Also the dynamic range used every bit of the VTL's 275 watts into the Maggies. The 44/16 side of the CL20 was at best lukewarm. This after coming off a Meridian 508 20. Then I tried the Wadia 270/27ix. In my system, all the write ups were proven wrong. Then I went to the Linn Ikemi. It was great except I couldn't forget that sound of the DVD's with the CL20. Sooooo....off I went to get the Sony SCD 1. I don't have a dealer here but trusted it wouldn't dissappoint. WRONNNG! I called Steve Huntley at Great Northern Sound to see if he could do anything. He said it was a great player, it's just that Sony missed the boat when it came to the analog section. He is in fact drawing up a mod to deal with this very thing that he says will approach the Accuphase. That however will cost anywhere from $1500 roonies for the SACD side to $3500 for both. Anybody have any comment on this or am I the only one experiencing disappointment?
jmazur402f
Albert-yes you are right.I guess Im tired of being bashed here and want to give a little back.You are always level headed and a true gentleman.By the way,you were right about Telefunkens,they are AWESOME!! I call for a truce.
Jmazur, thanks for your noble-turned-riotous thread. For whatever reason, the LP fans seem the most hostile people in here. Their need to inflict pain on others as well as themselves is, well, painful. In striking contrast, CD listeners appear far more serene. Please let's have your follow-up once you tune in your SACD. Hang in there.
David; as I enjoy reading about stereo matters, and would like to follow up, would you please cite the "studies" to which you refer in your above post. Thanks. Craig.
I personally try to not be hostile about LP. I think the main aggravation for me is the fact that primarily, it is all but dead. The main music companies have all but quit producing vinyl (Yes, the new Neil Young is great and Santana's album too) but, for the most part, we've been robbed. The reason for anger? How about you work and work and get the sound so perfect, that you can listen to anything you own in your library. I mean from LP's that are forty years old, to Jimi Hendrix, to the Cranberries, and Daniel Lanois. I am referring to sound so good, that visitors cannot speak for fear of interrupting the music. Then, you get ask for new music by KD Lang, or Matchbox 20, or someone else who is a group of the 90's. You cannot play it, because it does not exist on LP. You can play the CD, it is OK in your car, but on a ultra high end system that you have extracted all the performance out of for LP, it bites to play CD. I think the description of us (me) is closer to frustration, aggravation, disappointment, and confusion. Why don't the music companies produce both formats and let us choose? The answer is because music is now MANUFACTURED, not CREATED. Digital allows extreme manipulation of the signal, you can repair tone in a flat singers voice, you can fake anything the label wants, you can overdub as many times as necessary to make something out of nothing. The hard work and production perfection by the artist and producers to craft something real has been replaced by quick and convenient techniques that are extremely cost efficient. It should not come as a surprise in an our era, as everything has come to this. I guess the problem is that some of us would still like to hold on to something that is perfect. That is a lot of what a hobby is. A labor of love. It is a shame that we don't get more choices, and that the quality is determined by bottom line. For those of you that have not experienced having a system built on a format that has reached perfection, but no longer is viable for new music, be happy that what you have satisfies you.