Is SACD really this lousy?

Bought a Sony SCD 1 and this is boring me in my system. Have had it for 2 weeks and just cannot get interested. Previously I had a CAL CL2o and we were astounded by how the DVD DAD's sounded-fall into the soundstage, reach out and touch the performers. Also the dynamic range used every bit of the VTL's 275 watts into the Maggies. The 44/16 side of the CL20 was at best lukewarm. This after coming off a Meridian 508 20. Then I tried the Wadia 270/27ix. In my system, all the write ups were proven wrong. Then I went to the Linn Ikemi. It was great except I couldn't forget that sound of the DVD's with the CL20. Sooooo....off I went to get the Sony SCD 1. I don't have a dealer here but trusted it wouldn't dissappoint. WRONNNG! I called Steve Huntley at Great Northern Sound to see if he could do anything. He said it was a great player, it's just that Sony missed the boat when it came to the analog section. He is in fact drawing up a mod to deal with this very thing that he says will approach the Accuphase. That however will cost anywhere from $1500 roonies for the SACD side to $3500 for both. Anybody have any comment on this or am I the only one experiencing disappointment?
jmazur402f
Well said Albert, I couldn't agree more, especially about Sony. I'm perhaps less frustrated than all of you, because I can enjoy both vinyl and CD. That's my problem, I enjoy listening to the stereo TOO much, and never get any other chores or projects done......................JMAZUR, I'm all for having a dialog without insults, and I'M OPEN TO DISCUSS ANYTHING AUDIO RELATED. Let's discuss something perhaps non-software format related, it provokes too much anger on here. I feel that it is entirely possible that the frustration you feel concerning SACD, and other formats, could originate from some other place in your system. I'm open to discuss that if you like, just fire away...
Albert; I enjoyed your well written post (just above). It describes very well how many LP users/lovers must feel. But I must respectfully disagree with one of your conclusions, ie "built on a format that has reached perfection......". Perhaps this means that the format(LP)is as good as it will ever get? Or it could mean that the goal of recreating the live performance was finally achieved only to be lost by the digital takeover. I choose to (optimistically) believe that some future digital format, in the hands of dedicated artists and engineers, is the best chance, or maybe the only chance, for this goal to be realized. Sincerely. Craig.
.......I hasten to add-- I have never heard YOUR system. I bet it is SPECTACULAR. Craig.
Albert; Your post of 7/7 is the most powerful, eloquent, and oviously painful statement I've yet to see in this forum. My follow-up posts above are just "blather" (to use one of Carl's words), and add nothing. Please disregard them. My only excuse is that it was 1:30 A.M. when I impulsively posted them. Your statement stands on its own. Respectfully, Craig.
I use to have a well burned in (500 hours for each format)Sony SCD-777ES sacd player,and while the clean detail and macro/micro dynamics were outstanding,it did not have the overall satisfaction that I got from my tweaked out Cal Alpha 24/96 /Delta combo.There was a warmer sound and a greater 3 D soundstage,at least in my system.Two other critical audio buddies (one a jazz musician)were part of the mix that helped me conclude my preferance.I did try vinyl for awhile,had a modest VPI HW-19 Mk III with an AQ PT-6 arm and a Benz Micro Glider and a few 100 mint discs from the pre cd days(even bought a few audiophile discs).I even had a VPI record cleaner.I had trouble getting the right phono pre amp.A Linn Linto and a BP-25MC(preferred tubes) were not right and the upgrade for my Audible Illusions M3A would have taken about 3 months, and my budget and patience was bottoming out ,so I sold all of my vinyl gear.Right now I use a Magnum Dynalab tuner in addition to my digital gear,and I am quite satisfied with that.At least to me,in an ideal situation where one has an expansive appreciation for many types (jazz classical,pop ect.) of talented music,yet does have preferences,then the need for both formats(vinyl/cd) is essential and complimentary.Each format has many albums that the other does not.We do not have to think alike or even agree ,yet we can still respect the others opinions and preferrances in a non defensive and respectful manner.If one is into criticizing another format(analog/digital) or type of music,how is one truly able to appreciate what they have(system/music) with these strong self righteous issues.Live and let live and your music takes on a whole new level of satisfaction.Free your mind and finally be able to totally embrace the music.After all,that's what it should be all about,shouldn't it?