Highly Polished wire????

Here's one for all those Mat Science gurus..
OK we have all read this... "polished to a mirror finish to further reduced surface impurities.... Polished with what?

Seems like the cure worse than the disease? Wouldn't you introduce more impurities by polishing with a foreign substance. What's the secret formula to remove "impurities" without introducing new ones???

Is it just marketing hype?

- Dan
dan2112
OK say we do polish with a rouge, wouldn't by the act of polishing embed even more particles of the rouge into the metal. High purity copper and Silver are not the hardest metals on earth. Seems that the only way to polish would be to chemically treat them. Once you remove the Copper Oxide or Silver Oxide it immediately starts to form again. I am not doubting there is stuff on the surface of the wire that should be removed from the manufacturing process,like grease and stuff, but just wondering if the process of "polishing" by physical contact adds more than it removes. Would be interesting to hear how companies like Nordost "polishes" their wire. Anybody have any clue about this process?
I recently purchased some "special" silver wire for some crazy DIY project I dreamt up. Anyhow this wire does in fact sound great! - the manufacturer of the wire said, "The wire supplied to you is burr-free and polished to a mirror-like finish, this feature is requested by us because, even though audio frequencies do not travel to the outside surface of the wire, we have heard a smoother top end resulting from this finish."
Bwhite comes through again! The information this fella knows is unbelievable! :o)
Tim you're too kind. Heck, I don't know if the manufacturer was throwing me marketing hype or not. He could be full of it... but the explaination sounds valid.

One thing I noticed having done multiple DIY projects with wire is that every change made to the conductor, alters the sound somehow - sometimes the change is ever so slight.

With interconnects, it is the complete package, the sum of all the parts (no matter how small) that creates listening enjoyment.
Another thing I forgot to mention. Dan2112 mentions above the use of Jewelers Rouge for polishing the wire.

Looking at a table of dielectric constants I found the following: *Note - Teflon is usually considered the best dielectric next to air for audio applications.

AIR 1.0
AIR (DRY) 1.000536
ROUGE (JEWELERS) 1.5 - 1.6
TEFLON 2.0
TEFLON, PTFE 2.0
TEFLON (4F) 2.0
TEFLON, PCTFE 2.3-2.8

Perhaps the Jewelers Rouge (residue) is the hidden secret in making great sounding interconnects since its dielectric constant is even lower than teflon!! :)