Best CD player

I'm building a system and looking for recommendations on a used CD player. I have a budget up to $4,000. Also your cable recommendation please.

equipment:
Vandersteen 5 speaker
Placette active preamp
Bat VK500 amp

Thanks Joe
jwsmith5
So many people that i respect have said such good things about the Audio Aero Capitole that it HAS to be good. Other than that, the Electrocompaniet is a very nice sounding unit. The earlier non 24/192 EC-1 smoked the SCD-1 in a head to head comparison in my opinion. Not even close. The salesman that was demoing both units also agreed wholeheartedly. Sean
Sell your preamp, get a used Audio Aero Capitole here on Audiogon for $4000.

Cheers
Don't count out WADIA! There is a lot of hype about Mephisto and Capitole at the moment. Not too many people have even auditioned them because they are so rarely to be seen. Sure they are excellent players but Wadia is a rock in digital research since the beginning and their players are heavily reliable and extremely musical.
Good luck!
Aida_w- Could you share with us what you felt to be the differences between the mephisto II, Wadia and capitole? It strikes me as odd, because most who hear either player(capitole or mephisto) end up getting one. Also for the price of Wadia digital there are far to many for sale at any given time-makes me wonder; but we all listen and want different things from our systems-an audio melting pot here at audiogon!
~Tim
Aren't the current "hot" "top" 1 box players:
(just so happens that these first 5 players are all 24/192 players, hmmmm, I wonder...pattern?)

1. Audio Areo ($6900)
2. Mephisto ($6600)
3. Electro EMC-1 ($5000)

and new up and comping stars
4. Gamut CD-1 ($3000)
(some have said this competes with the top 3 for quite a bit less money.)
5. Cary 306 ($5000)

TOP "STANDARDS"
Wadia
861 ($7950 = $8000)
850 ($5000)
301 ($3200?)
Levinson 390s ($6000)
I am forgetting some I know but this is just to give an idea anyway.

TOP SACD PLAYERS- I am sure I am missing some but Sony is pretty clearly the leader in this category so if a person wanted SACD, Sony would probably be a safe and sane place to be.
Sony SCD-1 ($5000 - several other sony players are thought to deliver near the SCD-1 quality for less money but I am not as familiar with their model numbers because sony puts out units at the speed of light (777 and the 9000SE I think)- also for a mere $2500ish you can get some mods done on the SCD-1 that supposedly will bring close to the standard of the top players mentioned above)
Accuphase DP-85($16,500)
Marantz SA-14 ($2900)
Marantz SA-12S1 ($3800) does DVD also

Others?
I have order the Gamut and will tell you what I think after I get it (they are back ordered right now). Not a good looking player but its got it where it counts. I have owned the original EMC-1 and the Wadia 830, 850, and 860x and have heard the Cary 306 so I will tell you what I think, best I can, after having a chance to do some listening after break in.

happy hunting,
cd