CD v. SACD

I was planning on buying a new CD player (Rega Jupiter 2000), when I read a few reveiws of the Sony SCD-XA777ES, which used, I could buy for about the same amount as the Rega new. I currently have an extensive CD collection, but no SACDs. My question is whether I should just go ahead and buy the Sony, or whether a dedicated CD player, like the Rega (or others at its price point) are significantly better in their CD playback. Thanks. Tom
boschtb
Why should anyone care what bound for sound say but not care what stereophile says??? NataLIE you denagrate the rags until someone agrees with you. That is hypocracy of the worst sort. Either they always suck, or they are always reliable. You can't pick and choose that way.
Kayakfit, SACD stands for Super Audio Compact Disc. It is an attempt on Sonys part to fix all the problems they started when they realeased those garbage CD players twenty years ago. DVD-A is another high resolution digital audio format that is not compatable with SACD. The sound is also much better than the garbage Redbook CDs foisted on us by innumerable companies just so they can be competetive in the market. CDs are incapable of great sound, SACD and DVD-A on the other hand are capable of good sound. That's not the same as saying they are there yet though. None of them match vinyl yet.
24 bit and higher sample rate can improve the sound than redbook CD format. Natalie, that guy in your review like the tube output stage, which has nothing to do CD or SACD. I think you are referring an improper review to justify SACD vs CD. If we put the same driver CKT and same quality DAC. 24 bit will of couse beat 18 bit! Try to hear the dynamic range of 24 bit vs. 18 bit on a symphony. If you can't hear the difference, think about your set-up if it is good enough to reflect this advantage from SACD.

If you like tube sound much like I do. Buy good tube gears or even put tube in you CD player. However, don't confuse with SACD vs. CD.

I own >800 redbook CD, still like to keep good CD player.
But will push for better technology if they can potentially be better.
Don't think your preference of one particular CD player over a SONY SACD player provide any evidence of redbook is better. Both my ears and my physics knowledge show me which one is better!

Maybe you don't like Ford make money from you.
But no reason to argue your horse runs faster than a car.
1) What?

2) I think DVD-A and SACD are fully capable of catching all of vinyl's skips, pops, scratches, hiss, and rumble.

3) zoooooowwwwwww
Nrchy, I wouldn't say CD cannot sound good, you may just not have heard it on a great CD player. We all have our opinions here, but I would not hestitate to put the a good CD player against your SACD player; I have owned the Sony SCD-1 player, it is a good player, but I am now using the EMC1-UP and there is no comparison. I want it clear that I am not bashing SACD, just making an observation.