Wadia think about expensive CD Players ?

Hi , I live in an area where its difficult to demo the really high end digital gear. Honestly I dont mind paying a high price for CDP Playback , but w/o a demo , Im wondering if its worth it. Let me define worth it if I may. Will a top of the Line Wadia for example sound clearly better than say a Rega , or a Sony ES. Im not expecting it to trounce it, Im just asking if you have the bucks , is the improvement clearly audible ? Im looking for warm ,detailed involving sound, my speakers are Electrostats, Amp top of the Line Sunfire. Appreciate your thoughts .
transporter
You have to Audition before you buy. Everyone has a opinion on whats the best cdp but nobody will be listening to it thru your gear. Others prefer the Capitole mk11 to the Wadia 861,to my ears thru my gear the Wadia is my choice,and yes I auditioned them both in my system.
I think you might like the Meridian G08 ($4K). It has a very natural sound but doesn't sacrifice detail or dynamics to get it like some players do. It is very solidly built and has great ergonomics as well. Also, Meridian has a good reputation for customer service. I am extremely satisfied with mine.
hello guys,
I am new to the forum, but there are a few abstract assumptions in this forum that I do not understand.Modern CD players essentially read binary data burnt onto a plastic disc which is then converted to a musical/analogue signal via a DAC adaptor. Most high end players source their laser pickups from mass suppliers (i.e. Rega uses sony, etc). The DAC convertors are pretty standardized too (Burr-Brown etc). So that leaves you with esoteric abstract issues like power supplies, chassis stability, etc. Given the huge range of equipment out there, I would advise anyone to certainly choose their pre-amp/power amps and speakers first. Spend most of your money on Speakers. The final item should be the source (CDP) nowadays, unlike in the past, where their was a huge difference b/w a Nakamichi Dragon in comparison to a Teac or Akai cassette deck, and it made sense to start with the best source one could afford. A lot of audiophiles may disagree, but I'd say start with the stats and the numbers. They do not lie. And then do a comparison b/w $200 and $5000 players with approximately the same numbers. Listening preferences differ hugely, and terms like warmth tonality rhythm and musicality etc mean different things to different people. My wife prefers chocolate and I love vanilla.
I firmly believe in the law of diminishing returns. If a $40,000 Corvette gives you the same acceleration and roadholding as a $170,000 Ferrari Modena, that does not mean they are mutually exclusive. A Ferrari buyer also goes for the name, style, history and cache of the car. But the Corvette buyer is the "smarter" investor in terms of the dollar value of the equation. With CD players only you will listen to your choices for most of their lifespan.
And only your opinion matters. Audition cheap as well as expensive. And go with what makes the most sense to you.
>>Modern CD players essentially read binary data burnt
>>onto a plastic disc which is then converted to a
>>musical/analogue signal via a DAC adaptor. Most high end
>>players source their laser pickups from mass suppliers
>>(i.e. Rega uses sony, etc). The DAC convertors are
>>pretty standardized too (Burr-Brown etc). So that leaves
>>you with esoteric abstract issues like power supplies,
>>chassis stability, etc.
>>I would advise anyone to certainly choose their pre-
>>amp/power amps and speakers first. Spend most of your
>>money on Speakers. The final item should be the source
>>(CDP)

Hmmmmm.......Hmmmmmm......
I forsee a possible broad-side impact for you! ;-)
Eusmani:
Welcome to Audiogon - I am relatively new here myself. But as one who came into this hobby with exactly the same assumptions as you about there being relatively small differences in digital playback, and placing the highest priority on speakers, let me say loudly and clearly: I WAS WRONG!!! I didn't want to believe it, but the differences in digital sources are profound and more greatly affect how involving the music will be in your hi-fi than any other component. Far, far more than speakers.

But do NOT take my word for it. Go to a good audio shop and throw down the gauntlet. Tell them what you believe and have them try to prove you wrong by doing A/B comparisons with the equipment in their shop. Any good shop will be happy to do this. For example, start with something like an NAD player, then move up the Arcam line until you reach the FMJ CD 33, and then beyond if you like (the Linn Ikemi, for instance, though there are numerous other possibilities). I think you will be very surprised, and your spending priorities will change abruptly.