Retail vs. List Price

What is a fair, good, realistic, great %discount off list price for HiEnd audio? Specifically: I am looking for the Revel M 20s and need some advice before purchasing. I've seen prices from $2000(the actual retail) to $1695. What's a guy to do?
whirshfield
I paid three thousand, for a brand new four thousand rel stentor 2, at two different stores so I think the mark up is a little more then stated above.

That said I think the extensive mark up is necessary for them to stay in business. Running a business is very expensive and the costs of the product is far from the only costs. Employees, rent, utilities, evn things like workmens comp insurance and liabilty insurance all gets very expensive.
Perfectimage, if you paid 75% of the cost the dealer still got to keep 5% which is $200. The dealers may also have bought the subs during the Sumiko discount (I know my Tweeter bought more than half their stock then) which based on my estimates is another $200 to $400. Assuming what I think is best case scenario the dealer made $600. Doesn't sound like they lost out at all then. This is of course all conjecture. leo.
A local salesperson buddy of mine routinely gives me 30% off list, sometimes more, never less.

I've been told on what I consider good authority (though I have no proof) that my Mezzo Utopias that list for 14.9K sell to the dealer for just a bit under 7K.

A dealer in a nearby town, trying to make it in a marginal market, marks down Paradigm speakers about 20% but Gallo speakers almost 30%; Sonic Frontiers and Anthem electronics only about 10%.

Confusing, isn't it?

will
So many variables, it's impossible to say. Assuming brand new stock on a product that is brand new in the market from a very established manufacturer (all of which apply to the Revel M20's), I'd think 15% is a very nice discount. Let times get a little tough (as they certainly have been lately) and go looking for a brand new product that has been on the market for a while, and I'd think the discounts might be higher if you're willing to negotiate. I have to imagine that hi-end manufacturers have factories to keep running and have to have mechanisms between them and their dealers that allow them to make things more "attractive" to their ultimate customers. Supply and demand is unavoidable. -Kirk
Could it be speakers have a higher retail mark up because they take up much more space relative to their value compared to electronics?