Magnepan 1.6 vs Magnepan MG-1

I have a pair of MG-1 improved, are the 1.6qr way better? Are they worth trading up? The reason I ask is I have a pair of Paradigm studio 100 v3 and I like the dynamic sound, bass and drums etc. but love the mid and voices on the Maggies. Do the newer Maggies do more of the dynamics? Just because I'd like to only have one pair of speakers. Thanks for responses.
blub
I have owned both Maggie MG1 and 1.6 and can say the 1.6 is more dynamic and sound much better, but you need the power, at least 200 watts with lots of current. I ended up selling my 1.6 as I could not afford an amp for them, they will take as much power and quality you can give them and just keep getting better and better. I think they were a little too much for my 13 x 22 room as I like to turn it up a little myself and I think they like a bigger room as well.
Long ago I had MG II.

There have been quite significant improvements in recent Maggies, and the MG1.6 has benefited most. Money was not an issue when I selected MG1.6 over the MG3.6. I liked its sound just as well as the more expensive model. Tastes differ, and that's mine.

With regard to amplifier power, it is true that they benefit from high power. However, with the advent of digital power amps this does not have to cost a lot. I am using CarvePro ZR1600 amps, claiming 600 watts/channel at 4 ohms, and these amps can be bought new (with 5 year warantee) for about $840. They sound great too. Other digital amps are soon expected on the market, and some may offer similar quality at low cost.
Question.. Eldartford have you bypassed the fuses and the tweeter attenuator all together on the Maggies ? If you have changed the binding post..where did you get the uprades from? I may just send everything to the Tireguy and let him deal with it! LOL!!!!

Tireguy needs to start a mod company for the maggies! I will be one of the first in line. Tireguy when did you say you were going on vacation again ? HEh Heh Heh
Gmood1...I have been through the experience of burning up tweeter wires on my old original MG II, so I am happy to have the peace of mind afforded by the fuse.

I do use the "tweeter attenuator" which is the same thing as the "padding resistor" that other loudspeaker designs hide away in the crossover network. I like the Magnepan approach of letting you select this resistor value. If you like zero ohms, that's fine. I am using one ohm, but I often turn down the treble tone control by 2 dB, so I may experiment with 1.5 ohms.

Last week I assembled a new set of speakers for my rear channels, Odens, from Madisound. My old Dynaudios, with 5" MTM drivers are excellent, but just couldn't keep up with three MG1.6 plus subwoofers in the front. I sprung for the "premium" version of the crossover, and was impressed. Accordingly I have decided to treat the Maggies to a top-of-the-line crossover, and have just ordered $530 worth of stuff to do the deed on three speakers.