Vandersteen Treo's

Can anyone recommend an integrated amplifier for a reasonable price that would work well with Vandersteen treo's?
pcarey
"Big thanks for this information on Ayre. I'm also interested in the V-5xe. I currently use old 2C's with a Unico SE."

I use the V-5. Its really hard to beat. Ayre has a very unique sound. I haven't heard anything else that sounds like it. Most people, I think, don't get the full picture as to how it sounds. They always say its very analytical. I understand why they say that because Ayre products do pass a great deal of information. What they miss is the complete top to bottom liquidity. There's nothing mechanical or typical SS about the sound. I call it purity. You really have to hear it for yourself to understand fully but Vandersteen is the best speaker to match with Ayre. (At least I think so.)

Do you actually have the 2C or just not the most current version? I use the 3's now but I have a pair of Sig 1, 2's. They're about 10 years old now. One of my good friends was yapping about how good his 802D's were and how I should upgrade to them. I put my 2's next to them with my V-5 and forced him to admit he overpaid about 6k for his speakers. So even if your 2's are not the most current, you can still get great sound from them. I think you can upgrade to Sig 1 if yours are older.
Yes, Im' in Berlin on the way down to Audio Connection. I"m going to get there next week probably as I have a three pair of Proacs, a couple of Onix integrateds, Krell Stealth DAC, Stax headphones and a ton more to sell along with my Quick Silver Silver mono's and full service pre amp. I want it all checked out etc..., plus I want a full day to play with teh Vandy 7, 5 and Treo's. I'll see what amps we can warm up to listen to. I too want to see about the power conditioner.

Zd, you nailed it on the Ayre. Funny as I just say it's fully coherent from top to bottom. The speed is the same and you get the pace and rhythem. Revealing to say the least. I am hearing things that I never heard with an NAD integrated I had as a stop gap to get a remote in the system for my wife.

You can only upgrade Vandy's if you are the original owner. Richard hates seeing his speakers being sold on the secondary market and he wants to sell speakers that we will keep for ages and ages so that they keep their value and for folks to feel they get their money's worth Yes, I think if you can afford the Ayre gear, it just makes sense. This really is a great thread.
They are just the plain old 2C's circa 1986. I love them with the Unico SE b/c that amp has a somewhat forward/aggressive (and highly detailed)sound that brings the 2C's to life. Amazing match! I'm not sure I would like the Unico as much with the Treo's b/c from what I hear they are not as relaxed as the old 2C's. I would also like a system that I can leave on 24/7 for computer audio only. I am not comfortable doing that with the Unico (it's several years old, foreign,and has preamp tubes). As expensive as the Treo's are I think they will make a fantastic long-term investment (20 years?). Probably the same with an Ayre amp.
Still haven't made it down to AC, but hope to in the next two weeks. Johnny sold one of the Proacs already and now I just have to wait for the other two pair to sell along with all the other stuff and then I can get the Treo's. Loving my Music Hall DAC running balanced AQ Niagara into the Ayre. It's sounding even better and I only use a Marantz Blue Ray into the DAC. I'm amazed at how far thing have come in audio.
I really wanted to like this speaker. I have heard it now in 2 systems (Ayre and Aesthetix). To my ears, it is rolled off on the top octave (much like Wilson Audio speakers).