Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
CT - Remote can be found by searching iTunes store for apps through iTunes.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Steve, thanks, I'm going to look for it right now and going to get that DVI cable today so that I can get the server up and running. I'll call when I'm all set and in front of things.

Also need to buy a HD unit today too so that I may start to rip everything. With all the responses on HD's and burners, I'm still at a bit of a loss. This is one reason the all in one, like Antipodes makes sense if you can afford to go that route, but I'm saving money and getting great sound to boot, so I'll just sit out the new servers for a bit and see how and where the dust settles.

Off to figure out a Raid 1 HD solution and figure out if I can just use the internal drive or if I need to get an external one. Oh the questions.
I wouldn't recommend putting your music on the main internal drive, CT. (I'm running a Mac Mini with a 4TB external FireWire drive.)

First, you'll have contention on the internal drive between system functions and serving up music. How much of a problem? I don't know, but it should be considered.

The external drive makes backups very easy. I have another, similar drive, and simply clone the drives after new music additions are made. The clone goes in the fire safe.

Given that, I don't think you need RAID, although it would be handier than my solution.
I am going to use the external drive. I"ll just drag and drop files from my larger external HD to the smaller SSD internal drive to play. What are some of the names of the external HD's you guys are using and liking. I just assumed a Raid set up would be best in case of a failure
I know that I can get an OWC without discs, but if so, what are the best HD's to put into it?
The best Hard Disks are Maxtor, and server-grade.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio