Amp switcher for 2chnl to HT?

OK, here's the idea: I want to get the best of both worlds and have a 2 channel system in the same space as an HT setup. I am getting B&W N803's as new fronts for my HT. Clearly they deserve/demand great amplification. My HT rcvr is good enough for HT, but not great for 2 chnl. So I could run another great 2 channel amp from the pre-outs, but what if I want to use a great integrated, then what? And what if I want to really go crazy and add a great CDP to the equation? So I started thinking that maybe I could use an amp switcher (if something like this exists) and I could run a parallel 2 chnl system. Is this doable? Does this make sense?
jeffkad
Jeff,

Yes, you will be sending the signal for the L&R front channels through 2 pre-amp/volume controls when playing HT sources. It is not the optimum setup, however it will not cause any problems. Considering both pre-amps/volume controls are only in the circuit during HT playback, it may not be noticable at all. Most front channel output comes from the center channel during HT playback, so the L&R channels aren't as noticable. Also, because HT is primarily a video sensory experience, where audio is additive to the experience, having absolute sound quality is less important.

Now, if you plan to do a lot of multi-channel music playback, you might want to consider only units with an HT bypass since audio fidelity would be more important.

Of course, this is all just my opinion based on my experience and my tolerances regarding HT sound. Some folks that are more critical of HT sound may have the opposite opinion.

Happy Easter!

TIC
OK, I get it regarding HT, and I'm sure I can live with the compromise, but I still need clarification on 2 channel. If I'm using pre-outs to integrated for 2 channel music, then I'm double processing. Will this have a significant negative impact, or just a minor impact? What I'm getting at here is am I negating the full effect of a great integrated? If yes, am I better off simply putting my money into the best amp within this budget?
It all depends on how you have it connected. If you connect your CD source and any other 2-channel music sources, directly to the integrated amp, and not through the HT receiver, then the HT reciever doesn't even need to be turned on when listening to 2-channel music.

You would only need to turn on the HT receiver when listening to multi-channel or HT sources so when listening to 2-channel music, the fact that you have an add-on HT setup would not have any affect on the sonics of the 2-channel portion of the setup.

Enjoy,

TIC