Why are older tubes so much sought after

What is it with old stock tubes?? They were made years ago and surely by now we have must learned something about making them. So why are some people searching for old tubes. I have a Shanling CD player and I actually think the stock tubes are better than the 395a tubes.
128x128blueranger
Larryi,
sadly its a sign that this technology has become a bit of a dinosaur with only the select few interested. Although I see a few tube docking stations for ipods!

I know many here will disagree here, but in my experience other technologies, especially in power amplifiers, have moved so far ahead in terms of what you get for your money vs performance, and without the insecurities of knowing whether you have the best tubes from the 1950s or not.

The small magical details that we obsess over like this tube or that NOS tube bringing out extra detail here or there, can be had at the flick of a button on a remote control now without even reaching for a screw driver.

I have been trying out some of these latest generation of digital and switching amps for a while now. Some amps have room correction and a host of toys built in. The various filter settings are very powerful and have similar effects to tube rolling.
http://www.mullardtubes.com/Video.aspx

personally, ive tested A/B old NOS tubes 12au7 12at7, from GE and others vs. the new sovtek 12ax7a, and the new sovteks sound better to me.

analized the harmonics and noise floor with izotope ozone, and mda vst free plugins. with sine tone at arround 50hz.
the new sovtek ax7a has lots more harmonics, than au7 and at7.

it all depends of you like color sound or grey sound.
i like color, anyway.
Juanpablocuervo,

I have had the same experience with 12au7.

Fantastic film. I have not seen that one before. Notice all the internal parts are selected and moved by hand, and not a rubber glove to be seen. All the salt from sweaty hands carefully preserved inside.

I will go for new valves I think...
Juanpablocuervo and Chadeffect, it's so exciting that you two love the Sovtek new production tubes so much!

OK, so that everyone is happy and sees I am not an ungenerous person, I am willing to buy 1 Sovtek equivalent, be it 12AX7, 12AU7, or whatever for each old tube you can provide me. On top of that, I'll even pay for the shipping!

Man, you guys are going to make out like bandits.
Juanpablocuervo, Chadeffect, and Trelja,

What kind of music do you listen to? I have found with these more colored tubes, it sounds great with violin, guitar, and female vocal music. However, with piano and orchestra music, less colored tubes are more desirable.