Should I get a new amp?

I just picked up a fresh pair of Focal/JMLab Electra 1027be's and I'm now looking toward a possible amp upgrade. Currently, I have an older Outlaw 750 (165w x 5 @ 8ohm) pushing them but I'm itching to upgrade. Question is, will I really hear a big difference? That's when all you guys come in with your opinions :-)

My amp budget is about $1,500 (used from A-Gon is fine) and I'm only interested in 2 channel amps. I would continue to push the rest of my HT speakers with the Outlaw, so this amp would be dedicated to the 1027s.

This would also be for about 95% music, 5% HT.

I can get an Anthem Statement A2 for about $1,000 or a P2 for about $2,000 (little over budget...but might be willing to stretch) but I don't know if there is something better in my price range.

And finally, my room is narrow. 11' wide, 20' long (with an open back), and 7.5" high (basement). My speakers are on the short wall firing down the room toward the open end. I tend to sit about 7' off the speakers for listening.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated, as always.

Thanks guys!

-Ben
fatgh0st
Ben, I'm not sure what kind of current (the ability to drive and handle low impedances and impedance shifts)the Primaluna's can provide, but those speakers definetly need some real current, other wise I don't think your bass will be balanced with the rest of the spectrum. You may have stated previously, but what do the folks at JM Labs say? These speakers seem to have some of the same "tube" friendly issues as let's say something like Thiels - excellent speakers, but hard to match well with tubes. What was your budget?
Pubul57: My budget is $1,500, but if going tubes would require a tube pre as well to fully experience the sound, that $1,500 would have to cover both. As such, an integrated would likely be better suited to my budget.

Having said this, I want to make sure that I'm not making overall quality concessions simply to go the "tube" route. If I need a higher-end tube amp to be able to push these 1027be's properly and it's out of my budget, I don't want to settle for an inferior tube just for the sake of going to tubes.

I just wonder where the crossover point is between the sound difference vs affordability when working within my specific budget range and comparing Tube to SS.
At that budget level and with the current requirements of your speakers I think you have no choice but going SS. An option would be to consider the Unico (Unison Research) or Pathos integrated - they both make hybrid (tube pre /SS amp)units that might be in you price range and should be able to drive your speakers. I've only heard them in shows, so I can't really vouch for them, but both companies have received very nice review for their 50-70 watt integrateds. I could be wrong, but I think in your price range you are unlikely to get a reall good quality tube amp capable of driving your speakers they way they deserve. Again, I have not tried the Primaluna, so I can't say with certainty that it would be a bad match - but tube amps tend to need tube friendly speakers to work their magic.
Get a tube pre (if you don't have one already) and a "Class D" power switching amp that is built to handle the impedance swings. There are quite a few to choose from. I built a 200w/8ohm power amp using the Hypex upgraded modules (Hypex is used in Channel Island amps) and use a tube pre. The sound is tube with SS tight top and bottom. This might trigger another boring Class D vs. MOSFET vs. Tube debate, but I am simply stating what I have found. P.S. If the debate takes place, I will not participate, there has been enough discussion on this topic.
JM Lab speakers are particularly special when driven by tubes, IMO. It's too bad that they're not particularly tube friendly. I was driving the Mini Utopias with a 70W conrad johnson. Does it work? Yes. But I would like to encourage those who say that they're happy driving their JM Labs with 50 Watts or so, to try and listen to them with bigger amps. When I threw 200W cjs at the Mini's, they really came alive, relatively speaking.