Are There Any Good, High Power Solid State Amps?

I feel like I'm running low on power with my current 100 watt tube amp, so I'm looking for suggestions. I'd like to try solid state, but I want an amp with an airy, rich tonality. I've been thinking either Pass (love the XA series, but I'm afraid it won't be enough power) Pass X, Krell, Clayton, etc. Can you make any suggestions (new or used somewhere in the $5K - $10k range)?
Thanks in advance.
louisl
I agree with TVAD, the Pass XA60.5 should easily be able to drive that speaker. It also sounds like almost any tube amp would have difficulty with that impedance dip in the bass, there are some that could handle it, but it is not an ideal load for most tube amps.
Louisl,
I second Halcro's suggestion of getting a pair of Vandersteen 2WQ subs with High pass filter (pref. the Model 5 filter). Vandersteen's method of hook-up is unique (except for maybe Rel) and as Halcro described it takes the pressure of reproducing the very low bass from your main amp - which has a few side benefits such as increased dynamics and a more expansive and defined soundstage. The improved quality and quantity of bass is almost secondary to these benefits.I've heard speakers with far better reputations then the VR4's benefit from this arrangement.
Louisl,

Tvad is most likely dead-on to the source of your "power" problem. I have a very easy(and relatively cheap) test/solution for you...

Get ahold of some Zeros (Speaker Impedance Multiplying Autoformer) - by Paul Speltz. They can raise the speaker impedance seen by the amp bu 2x/3x/4x. So, if your speakers dip to 3 ohms and your amp is having a hard time, on the 2x setting the amp will see a much easier 6 ohm load and sail along without breaking a sweat. Read the professional reviews and customer testimonials on the website.

Best of all, he offers a 60-Day money back guarantee. So, for $450(naked) or $950(boxed) you might just find out that your AR VT-100 actually has enough power. If not, no money lost on the return.

At the very least, they work with any amp and will greatly broaden the list of what will work with your speakers. Meaning you won't have to spend $8k-$10k to get the results that you are seeking.
Hi Louisl.

Unless you have upgradeitis, you might try the Autoformer described above before spending lots of $$$ on a new amp(s).

Here's the link:
http://www.zeroimpedance.com/products.html

Mike
ask viktor khomenko about the difference between tube and solid state. it is a fool's errand to think you can replicate the sound of tubes with a solid state product.

there is no free lunch in audio. if you want solid state you get the solid state sound. richness and solid state is a contradiction.