Heard McIntosh 275 For The First Time.

One of my friend was kind enough to loan me a Mcintosh 275 amp yesterday and that had given me the opportunity to benchmark the tube amp with my solid-state amp for the very first time in my own system. I had high expectations on the unit after reading mostly good comments here from current owners, and I have not left disappointed.

When the amp was unboxed, I was shocked to notice that it weighed like an elephant given its small size, and I found difficulty in carrying the amp and putting it into place. I felt that my Plinius SA-100Mk3 amp although a much larger looking beast, was much easier to handle with the presence of two handles at the front and rear of the amp.

The Mcintosh had all stock tubes and I was informed the amp was a Mark 4(serial number VN1956). The markings on the side panel where the power socket lies had worn off a little. I was told that this is normal as when carrying the amp, the hand would grip on the side panels causing the text to wear off. Does any 275 owners experience the same thing?

When the amp was powered up for the first time, I wasn't too impressed as the sonic signature was more or less similar to my Plinius SA-100Mk3. The amp was hooked up to an ARC LS-16 preamp driving PMC LB1 Signature speakers(I'll try it on my other Proac speakers when I have some time later). After several listening sessions, I began to appreciate the finer qualities of the 275. The first thing that grabbed me was the bass. It was much fuller, tauter and went deeper, in fact too much of it that I needed to lower down the volume and crossover point on the subwoofer. The bass quality of the 275 was at a higher level and as such the integration between the main speakers and sub is now more seamless.

The next notable improvement was on vocals. All I read about the smoothness of tube amps had proven to be accurate. Harshness and digital edge on vocals were eliminated as voices took an organic feel which was pleasant to the ears. Apart from this improvement, I felt that control and refinement of the 275 were superior to the Plinius amp as the overall sound was presented in an unforced and natural manner. The sound of instruments in the background was also more distinct and precise.

Overall I am quite satisfied with the performance of the Mcintosh and find it to be an excellent unit. I read that the amp will take a whole new level if the stock tubes are replaced to high quality tubes (although I'm not too convinced of getting a significant improvement). Now I am having a dilemma whether to consider getting this 275 as I still love the sound of my Plinius amp. No doubt the Mcintosh offers a higher level of performance with a wee bit of control and refinement that are synonymous with most higher-end units, but the Plinius comes quite close. I think I would have to listen to the amp a little longer and decide if it should end up permanently on my hifi rack, a difficult decision I would say. Nevertheless, one thing is for certain. The Mcintosh 275 is a great unit that has opened up the door of many possibilities by giving me a taste of high-end.
ryder
My father had the original from the mid 60s until he died in 2004. Never a sick day off--ran like a champ. Remarkable products. A true classic.
>>03-13-09: Musicnoise
Well - there's McIntosh - - - and then there's everything else<<

You've made some dumb posts but this might be your piece de resistance.
musicnoise might be on to something. THe best I have heard was a Mac Quad combo. Amazing. I have heard many systems with Atmasphere, other OTL amps, solid state, push pull tube and solid atate designs and even though most are out of my price range, the 275 one of the very best amps you can buy for the money. They are compared to many very expensive models and is a top contender nonetheless.