Running 4 speakers from a 2-channel amp

I love the sound of 4 speakers playing at once around me. I've got a simple old SS amp, Luxman L507 (mid-1970's) that runs 4 speakers at once. I'm running a pair of Yamaha NS-1000x (6 Ohm) as mains, and a tweaked set of B&W 805Ns (8 Ohm) as B's.

I'm talking here about 2-channel sound, 4 speakers, not 4-channel surround sound.

I've been looking for a higher-end amp, but find almost all are two-channels only, with ports for only two speakers.

Some great old Luxman tube amps offer 4 channels, but only one pair at a time is available on the selector ("A or B," not "A and B"). One shop told me they could have one modified for me to be able to play 4 speakers, at only a small cost.

Another shop told me that playing 4 speakers at once, even on my current old Luxman, which has the "A and B" option, overburdens the amp and shortens it's life.

I wonder - can't we wire-up 4 speakers, say two on each side in parallel, like in so many car stereo setups?

Am I really limited to only 2 speakers with a 2-channel amp?
jimthewebguy
Thanks all you ppl for this insightful thread. I had initially thought it a simpler question...
The Bottom Line:

1.Respect Ohms Law!

2.Use a "real" power amplifier{one that Doubles Down)

3.Use accurate, sensitive, speakers that are 95db. min. @
8ohm.

4.Use quality cable at EVERY connection!

5.Respect Ohms Law!

Do the above, and I assure You, the sound you HEAR!

Will blow away what a single pair of ANY speaker!

Not the Infinity I.R.S. or the sister companies speakers,

that are 7' FEET TALL!

I am talking about smaller speakers that have a single

woofer, instead of 4 or 6 woofers in one cabinet, like

those "Super Speakers".

This is the whole IDEA! To create that same "SLAM!"

and "IMPACT!" that those 7' FOOT and taller speakers

are able to attain.

I assure You, few people have heard, and "FELT" what

an "array" of drivers can do with "UNLIMITED POWER!"

"SOUND" can be a very powerful, and devastating Force,

if ample speakers with Unlimited Power, are mated.

EVERY Hi-FI Person in Sales, ALL have told me, "You can't

do that?" But I do, and I HAVE, for 30 years+ without

ANY problems EVER!

They don't want you to achieve what they "can't SELL!"

LIES! LIES! LIES! ALL the B.S. saying "cancellation" and

all sorts of stupid "excuses", NONE of which, is TRUE!

When in doubt, TEST EVERYTHING!

Don't believe me, do it for yourself, THEN...

Insert "FOOT!" into mouth!

2 channel Stereo, 1 in front and 1 in the rear, with front

and rear center speakers, and side speakers.

Looped from 1 pre-amp to the 2nd, so volume is set for

front and rear to blend into a "Natural Surround" Sound.

I LOVE MUSIC!
Jimthewebguy -

Only very high-end integrated amps offer two pairs of speakers. The Luxman L505U offers two pairs of speakers, which allows you to utilize A+B. This is achieved through employing Takasina capacitors, which are custom-made capacitors that Luxman uses in all of its amplifiers. These capacitors are used in parellel circuitry - and thereby permits the bi-wiring of a single-set of speakers.

I completely agree with Bjpd57a1. Without two pairs of speakers, even the highest-quality amps cannot achieve the highest levels of quality that quadrophonic systems can. However many high-end companies (such as Bryston and Krell) do not offer two pairs of speakers because it entails extra production costs (due to the added circuitry). When you use A+B, make sure that the speakers are 8-ohms.

Jimthewebguy, you used your old Luxman L507 with four speakers without problems. I used my old Luxman1120 for 29 years without any problem. There is no sound that can beat a four-speaker system.
Thank you Renjy651 for that last comment. I can't agree more.

I was very happy to learn that the L 505u can play A+B. People in a shop here said it couldn't. After reading your post I found it can from the Luxman site, and now I have a new possible amp goal in mind. I hope to find some way to listen to it at home.

Tonight I'll go and listen to a used pair of Sonus Faber Concertos (original type, not Homes) at a local shop. I'll be bringing my Luxman 507 and my own CD player (Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 96/24 w/Siemens 7308 gold pin tubes).

The intention is to have nice sounds in my computer room. I almost bought Adam 7 powered speakers, but was talked out of it. I have no idea yet whether the Sonus Fabers might match nicely with my Yamahas (totally opposite approches to sound reproduction, but sometimes such differences synergize), but if I buy these SFs I'll certainly experiment with that.

I love the sound of SF speakers, and I'm thinking it would be nice to have three very different-sounding pairs at home: My Yamaha NS100x's, modified B&W 805Ns, and Sonus fabers. This should cover the spectrum of my own tastes with differing types of music and recording quality.
Just an update in case anyone is interested
I listened to the Concertos and didn't like them much at all. The bass was weak and muffled, they didn't image well, lacked detail, and were very much "in the box." The had a lot of cosmetic damage as well. I compared them to some Quad 12L's, which were in mint condition and at half the price of the Concertos. Originally, i just wanted to use the Quads as a comparator, but I wound-up buying them as a temporary fix until I find something better. Since then I've come to like the Quads more and more, though best within a certain range of genres. I still think of them as temporaries, and I'm looking for some SF Minimas to try next.

In the meantime I bought the very first Japanese version (different mains power) iDecco in Japan, directly from the distributor before they reached the market here. This is an amazingly good unit. I'm using this mainly to listen to flac files streamed from my iMac to my Quads, and it sounds warm and extremely detailed.

I also picked-up a second set of NS-1000x's, a rare walnut set in the best condition I've ever seen these speakers in. I'm thinking of keeping this set for replacement parts, so that I'll always have NS-1000x's in good shape around. The full set here in Japan costs about as much as two used so-so conditioned beryllium tweeters do overseas.