harman kardon citation 16 amp?????

How do some of you older audiophiles like this amp? Is it a good amp for driving psb gold speaker? I have a tube preamp and i am not sure how it will perform with it. I can pick it up for around 300 bucks, is this a decent deal or too much for this vintage amp? Sorry so many questions i just am on the fence about purchasing it. Is there any way to check it out with a volt meter before buying it. I am no electrician at all but with some guidance i may be able to check it out further. Its a all black face and doesnt have the v pattern lights like most ive seen. ANy way to tell what the amp is? Just says citation sixteen on the front with 2 leds and a toggle switch. thanx for the info, much appreciated
flyin2jz
Any other amps u would reccomend in this price range. I have a pretty low fi system but the psb golds I've read need more power than I currently have. 50w
I think the big thing about these PSBs is they drop to about 4 ohms through a good section of the lower midrange. That can suck a lot of current from an amp, so I'd suggest something with a good reputation at low impedance. A good (but not perfect) indication is if the wattage output comes close to doubling at 4 ohms vs 8.

Outside of some old tube amps I rebuild as a hobby, I don't follow the used market much. However, you might audition one of the newer Class D digital amps. There are some pretty powerful units out there at modest cost and at least a fair number of people really like them.
I am too old an audiophile as I quit with the Citation 12. I found it mask detail that the contemporary Quad 303 reproduced. I have the impression that the Citation line deteriorated with time from the original Stu Hegaman designs. I would pay a little more and look elsewhere.
Sue Kraft gave the 16 a good review in the April/May 2006 issue of Absolute Sound. It will probably need some updating.
See thats the thing. I have been looking on google and have found alot of people that say its a great low end amp. was really great at the time. I just need a amp that will alow me to stay married and give these psb speakers some breathing room. Im not a big fan of the vintage gear not having protection but i guess thats a whole new thread. I dont understand amps so i dont know how it works. thanks for the info. I still need more suggestions that will work. I dont understand the ohms thing either. I dont play alot of rock music and always listen at lowish levels.