shipping boxes for heavy electronics

greetings, first post here on audiogon forum. I have a heavy parasound amp that is about 90 lbs, and I do not have original shipping boxes. I took it to fedex and they said they would have boxes for the dimensions of the amp, but not for that weight, as their heaviest box can withstand 60 lbs. I have been looking on the internet that would have a rating of 80+ lbs, but I simply cannot locate one.

Can someone make a suggestion on where to acquire such heavy duty shipping box for electronics? any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. amp dimension is 19"x8"x20".

Thank you.
woody88
What you want is to use heavy dense foam. Then an inner and outer box. It is not too difficult to find two boxes which can ust slide into the other.
The foam should be at least 3" thick all around the amp.
The bigger the box, the less likely the box will be tossed around. (in my experience)
Packing tape all around in all directions can strengthen a box dramatically.
Several layers of tapecrossing the centerlines in all three directions.
Perhaps you could buy a box from Parasound. If you contacted their service department, maybe they have boxes that they sell to people who want to ship their amps in for service.
Elizabeth nailed it to the T. I have a lot of packing experience and will say that if you follow her advice you should be fine. The only thing I would add id to put the same dense foam in BOTH boxes.
Buying a Parasound box works too but I find that manufacturers charge hefty for their boxes.I had to fork out $90.00 for an Audio Research box! They are double boxes I know but $90.00 for carboard!
Rethinking my last post, that packing method will address the box with an 80 pound weight limit but you are better off strapping it to a pallet and using freight instead of ground. Your amp will survive ground unless it gets in the wrong hands and is dropped. Less of a chance dropping with freight.