New tv?

Well it looks like the not so old Samsung 50 inch plasma is on its last legs. It has a blue vertical band running down the left side and repair folks are telling me it is likely the display panel which cost as much or more than a new TV to repair. So what are you folks liking these days as the best TV for home theater? This is a set up with an oppo 103 and NAD integrated amp and Sonus fabar toy towers. We are looking for a 55 inch set and are wondering if plasma is still the best way to go? As always thanks for any suggestions.
audiowoman
For my money, nothing beats a Plasma...still. Last Christmas we snapped up a 60" LG on sale for $800. It retailed for $1400 and usually sold at $900 in stores and online. It was one of LG's cheaper 60" Plasmas. The upper-end picture response resolution-wise is just a tad softer compared to the 50" Samsung it replaced (same panel problem as yours), but the colors are better (more accurate with more of them and better saturation). What I like most about the LG is the "ISF" controls that allow a pro calibrator (like Geek Squad or ISF) to quickly and completely adjust everything with a higher degree of accuracy. However, the controls were just easy enough for a geekhead like me to get in there for a while on my own and come away with something much better than any stock setting. So, I haven't been tempted to go that route yet. Together with a boatload of power conditioning (mainly bought for the 2-channel audio), the color and overall performance is the best I've yet seen. Also using the Oppo 103.
Definately the Panasonic Plasma unless you need a thinner display or a less reflective surface or will be using it extensively for gaming.

FWIW, a few years ago Panasonic bought all of Pioneer's Kuro tech and have integrated much of it into their plasma's.
This is an FYI, not a recommendation as I've never seen one, but the new 4k ultra high def sets are falling in price. A brand called Seiki has a 50" model available for app $1100.

Marty