Which Vivaldi Four Seasons CD to buy???

OK - I'm a total beginner when it comes to classical music. I'm only recently getting into it because it helps me get through my law school readings and retain the information. The music I normally listen to doesn't really do that.

Anyway, I figure Vivaldi's Four Seasons is a good place to start. (I think that my taste leans towards the Baroque era because I also like Albinoni Adagio). My problem is which Four Seasons CD is the best one in terms of the musician and audiophile quality? There seem to be so many out there... (I think that my father has one by Telarc?)

Thanks!
mdp0430
Last year I bought an LP collection that include 17 different versions of the Four Seasons. So I grabbed 6 or 7 more that I already had and spent the entire evening doing a "shootout", by listening only to the "Spring" movement for each.

The Winner for my tastes was a 1985 version on the BIS label by the Drottingholm Baroque Ensemble, Nils-Erik Sparf on baroque violin. It's an original instrument version including recorder, lute, baroque basson, and viola d'amore. The instrumentation is not just a gimmick here - the conducting and performance bring forth the soul of this piece, and the recording captures it. It was a digital recording and it's also available on CD (BIS-CD-275).

Close, but different, 2nd place did go to the Trevor Pinnock / Simon Standage version mentioned by Ncarv above. A mainstream version, but played, conducted, and recorded perfectly. Not as edgy as the BIS, but thoroughly engaging and a must have as a "reference" version IMO.

3rd place went to an unusual, aggressive (Enescu-esque) version contained in a 1966 Supraphon spiral-bound 3 record Baroque set. It could really be a co-2nd place - hard to compare because it's so different than ALL the others.
If I am reading the Czech correctly it is Bohdan Warchal, violin and conducting the Slovak Chamber Orchestra. I seriously doubt it has made it to CD.

There were very few others that I felt were worth keeping after those 3. Many just didn't achieve a good balance between the continuo harpsichord and the orchestra (or omitted it entirely) or were played droningly slow, manically fast, or just didn't have "soul".

I do keep the Telarc around, but mostly because it seem a shame to put a hole in my Telarc collection. I think it came in around 6th or 7th.
trevor pinnock on archiv - not only great performances but
exceptional sound. as for vivaldi, i suggest you don't limit yourself to the "4 seasons"- La Stravaganza (and numerous other string concertos) is a gorgeous piece of music (also on archiv). and his instrumental music offers alot of variety, featuring woodwind instruments as well.
Thank you everyone for your responses to date. I have a question about the Trevor Pinnock on Archiv disk... There seem to be three different disks on Archiv's website. The catalog numbers are 758530, 469220, and 400045. Could you please refer me to the correct one (ie. which catalog number is your disk)? They all seem to be different. Here is the link:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/albumList.jsp?name_id1=12652&name_role1=1&name_id2=13646&name_role2=3&bcorder=31

Thanks again!
Hi Larry,

The disk that you are referring to, Winston Ma, First Impressions Music, it seems to only be available in SACD. Does that sound right? Unfortunately, my player doesn't do SACD...
I totally agreed with Opalchip on the BIS label by the Drottingholm Baroque Ensemble as being one of the BEST(BIS-CD-275). I also would recommend the JVC xrcd24 version Orchestre De Chambre Jean-Francois Paillard, Gerard Jarry, violon(JM-XR24001). Both are excellent recordings.