Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Who is Frogman? There are many Frogmen inside "The" Frogman, all stored in the recesses of his mind. When the music is resonant to some memorable experience, it will excite that memory.

Frogman doesn't make a concentrated effort to hear the music, he lets it come to him. That's when it will excite the emotion associated with the memory of some long forgotten event. That's what listening cerebrally is about.

Right now "Last Tango in Paris" is on my rig, it's the lush one associated with the movie. I see Marlon Brando and his lady without a name doing the Tango in Paris. This music excites all the memories I can associate with that movie. I made no conscious effort what so ever for this to happen, the music excited the memory it was resonant to; that's what listening cerebrally is about, it's letting your psyche do the listening.

I'll respond if this needs clarification.

Enjoy the music.
O-10, thanks for the clarification. Issue of semantics and personal definition at work here. For me, "cerebral" and "cerebrally" would seem to mean the precise opposite of your definition. While I do agree with your description of the process of listening, it is (again, for me) applicable only some of the time. Being that music being listened to is someone else's expression of their experiences and memories, there are times that what the music precisely demands of me is a concentrated effort to hear it.
O-10:

Did you notice how Clark Terry and Muddy Waters meshed so effortlessly? Someone once said, Cannonball maybe, "It's not the same thing, but it's from the same thing". Speaking of Blues and Jazz. Cannonball loved to talk.

Two guys from the 50's that were rumored, to be able to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVFLYz0SdKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH3JpqhpkXg

Aaron Copland - "Is there a meaning to music? Yes. Can you state in so many words what the meaning is? No."

Cheers