Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
The whole paragraph is true, not just the last sentence. Jazz can never stand still, and in this constant movement there is bound to be mistakes and successes. Anything truly free to change will do that. It will be messy,like the people playing it and listening to it, but to make rules to protect it is, ironically, the only thing that can kill it. The people claiming to save it, will be the one's who put it in a museum for preservation.
O-10, understood; our listening room should be the place where music provides whatever it is we want from listening. I would only point out that it is not only musicians who don't shy away from having to make an effort to hear it. I have met many non-musician avid music lovers who appreciate being challenged by the music; it's a personal matter.
****Always Suspected They Were Superfluous.****

Not sure whether you are serious or not; it is, of course, not true. If you would like to know why it's not true, I would be glad to tell you; just don't want to waste time in pointless arguing.

BTW, the Miles clip is fabulous. My favorite band in all of recorded jazz. They played with an obvious connection to the past as well as an open window to what the future of jazz would bring.
One of My Favorites

A simple yet incredible performance. Impossible for anyone to listen to this and not be moved I would think. Is it jazz?