Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
***** I use the Aego sattelite/subw three piece system by Acoustic Energy and it sounds fantastic for what it is.*****

I found them, and they look interesting, but I have only found them on UK sites. Will keep looking.

The ones I have sound great, and get excellent reviews, but if there are better out there, I want them.

What happened to J&R??

Cheers
*****Rok, just as sure as the sun sets in the west and rises in the east, I could have predicted your post.******

I can only be me. I didn't like those guys back in the day. You said it yourself, we are exposed to, and programed, to hear certain music. Some things I just don't 'hear'.

When I look thru my LP collection, I am amazed at some of the stuff I once thought was good. Examples: Grover Washington, Weather Report, Gabor Szabo, Lee Ritenour, Pat Metheny, Al di Meola, Herbie Mann, Stanley Jordan, Al Jarreau etc......... you get the drift. Just passing fads. So I have had my fill of noise makers.

But, the great stuff never fades. It remains great forever. And I bought it all again on CD.

Cheers
Anachronism, Tia Fuller is a very nice player and yet another example of a current young player who can really play. She has a modern harmonic sensibility combined with a (dare I say it?) rather feminine tone that is round with little edge and is not splitting the horn at the seams. Nice observation about her drummer Kim Thompson who, like Tony Williams, has a very propulsive but light touch on the ride cymbal. Thanks!

https://m.youtube.com/?#watch?v=s72zz92nvcI
****The ones I have sound great, and get excellent reviews, but if there are better out there, I want them.****

I have no idea wether the Aegos are better than what you have or not, but I can tell you that I have heard Audioengine speakers that sound better than my Aegos. Good luck.
****I was going by the recording date. 2010. Surely you and the OP cannot be critical of anything recorded that recent.****

Focus, people, focus!!!! :-)

This is one of those times when I wonder wether we are just spinning our wheels without focus. The issue is not the recording date, but the music's style that defines what era we are talking about. I think that this may explain some of the disagreement about some of the players we talk about. The Wynton clip is a fine study of this; at least from the standpoint that I'm coming from. This is not meant as yet more Wynton bashing since a player that accomplished can't be bashed; but, we talk about the very best of the genre on this thread. Wynton is an incredibly versatile musician and fabulous trumpet player (two different things), he can play modern and traditional jazz, and Classical. He does it all well with the kind of trumpet skill that is almost unheard of. But, I listen to that clip of "Sweet Georgia Brown" and I hear along with Wynton two players (Vignola and O'Connor) who have made that style of traditional jazz ("hot jazz") their thing and their thing only. They don't (can't) play modern or Classical. They have lived and breathed that idiom and understand the language in a very deep way. I guess I don't have to say whose solos are the most coherent and idiomatic. The most obvious way to tell is always by imaging that we didn't hear the "head" (tune) at the top, that there is no rhythm section playing and one is just hearing the solo, then ask yourself the question: would I still be able to tell what tune they are soloing over? Can we follow the tune? Wynton sounds impressive as hell, but he can't help but resort to some pyrotechnics and playing around with the time in a way that is not idiomatic. Vignola and O'Connor (especially Vignola) are inventive and very idiomatic.

Great clip, fun, great feel, great playing all the way around; but......